Diaper Rash or Yeast?

My DS has a rash and the diaper cream is not helping. I am wondering if it might be a yeast rash. Do you know how I can tell the difference? FYI he is on antibotics for a ear infeactions and had has diarrea from the medicen and that is what caused the rash. He is potty trained I just keep a pull up on to help control the #2 mess until he is off the meds. Any help we have a doc appt. coming up so I will ofcourse have him look at it. But I wanted to know if there are any signs for telling the two apart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's on antibiotics there's a good chance it is a yeast infection. The yeast infections always seemed to be worse than a regualr diaper rash when my son had it, it was redder, more spread out and just looked alot worse. You can try letting him sit in a bath with baking soda or an oat bath to sooth it till you can get him to the dr. and the ointment actually seals the rash so you might just try a corn starch powder so the rash can dry out instead of staying moist. I always let my little ones "air out" too so their little butts would be completely dry and less iritating for them.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 10:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My doc called this Diaper Burn from the messing all over herself with the medication. He told me to use antiacid "mylanta" with a cotton ball let that dry and then vasillin over that to secure the area it sound crazy but it worked.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009