Is Daycare good for my son who has SPD?

Addison has Sensory Processing Disorder. He will not paly with the other kids. He want to read books all the time don't like to do anything with his class. He don't like art time but will sit and do it for 5 mins or so. He tells me he don't want to go. I am able to stay home with him . I just want to do what is best for him. thank you for any help you can give me.

AddisonsMommy06

Asked by AddisonsMommy06 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Daycare? No. But school is a different story. A lot of times, those teachers are trained to deal with this type of thing. Daycare workers aren't usually and they do not know what to do. I think it's best if you do stay home with him but maybe also get involved with playdates. He still needs to be around other kids but I think it's better for him to be with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would stay home with him and go to places like the mall to play or join a "meetup play group" just to keep him socialized.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 10:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i wouldnt do a day care , id do suwhere where u can stay too
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 11:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My oldest two have SPD. They've done well in preschool. They have problems with loud noises (think vacuum, mixer, blender..) and textures (or being touched). Their teachers know about it and take things slow with them if they have to work with textures.

The boys also receive OT which has helped a LOT. Is your son receiving OT for his sensory issues?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009