DD wont eat baby food.

DD is ywo weeks shy of being 6 months old. I decided to try her on solids to see how she is going to do with them, but every time I give her the food she gages and spits it out. I know that once they hit 6 months that they dont get enough iron from there formula anymore and my concern is that she wont eat baby food when she needs to. I want to make sure she gets what she needs to stay healthy. Any ideas on how I can get her to eat or what I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not age that matters it's development. When to start baby food is a personal choice. With that said, your baby should be be a supported sitter when you start cereal and should sit on her own before giving baby foods. If she's spitting it out and gagging then maybe she's just not ready.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It sounds like she isn't quite ready. Try again in a week. Make the cereal super watery and put the spoon on baby's lower lip and let her "suck" it off. Once she has mastered that, you can progressively get the spoon actually in her mouth and make the cereal thicker. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Oh - it might also help if you eat food with spoons in front of her....make it look really fun and yummy.
    ANGIE409

• I think all babies do that at first. They have to get used to it. I mean if you drank milk your entire life and then someone shoved something else in your mouth you'd be a little surprised too!

She'll get used to it, I wouldn't give up this soon, but maybe in 3-5 days if she's still not progressing then you can stop for a week or two. My LO didn't accept that first night, it took two or three nights and now she's a pro!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• This is a normal reaction. Start her with something sweet - make sure it is truly pureed to almost a liquid form. It also helps to add a little milk to it in the beginning (whatever they are used to the flavor of). If you are breastfeeding use breastmilk because what you eat does flavor the milk and helps them to recognize the flavors of foods once they are old enough to be introduced to foods, if she has become used to formula use it. I will note that there is no research that proves that formula is any safer or more nutritious for a human baby than cow or goats milk - it's just been falsely advertised as being good for humans, but there is nothing to substantiate that claim. Formula has less than 50 nutrients listed, and breastmilk has over 200 known nutrients and more, that scientists are still trying to figure out what they all are. That's a lot to miss out on!! So, it's not only Iron your baby needs.
    DoulaJudi

Answer by DoulaJudi at 12:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Give her some more time. Lots of babies are not quite ready until 7-9 months. She will be fine on just formula for a little while longer.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Mine wouldn't take it until almost 11 months. No biggie...it is only for practice.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009