What would make one ankle joint look visibly different than the other?

I sprained my ankle back in September, God it hurt a lot, enough to make me feel sick at any rate. I went to a Dr. in December and he took some X-Rays and said that nothing looked broken and since I seemed to be bearing weight on it just fine he wasn't too worried.

Lately, I've been trying to lose weight, and so I've been exercising daily. Thanks to that it's been hurting daily, it has always hurt if I walk a lot, but lately I've been noticing that it is visibly different from my other ankle.

Is this normal w/a sprain? Is there something else that could have done this?

I appreciate your help, opinions & suggestions. I'm getting annoyed w/waking up in the morning w/a stiff ankle and it feeling like it needs to pop and having it hurt to walk until the joint gets used to the motion. I'm sick of not being able to exercise (walk/run) b/c it hurts, I need to do it in order to lose weight.

Thanks!

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• I have torn the same ligament in my right ankle three times and it is now permanently swollen. It is visibly larger than my left, even though it no longer hurts. I think I've just damaged that ligament so much that it has developed scar tissue, or something. If it continues to cause you pain, maybe you should have it looked at by a doctor. :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Torn ligament, get a different dr. When I tore my miniscus in my knee I had to switch dr's cuz the first didn't think anything was wrong. Turns out I needed surgery.
    krista778

Answer by krista778 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yeah go to the dr. Osteopath. Or a sports medicine doc. I do know it takes a long time to heal from a sprain but not that long.
    I want you to be up to the weight loss challenge. I am thinking of betting you a nice warm quilt that I can kick your booty in the weight loss game. lol. I don't really know where that came from, but really it might be fun..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009