What do you do with an 11 month old that bites?

My 11 month old son bites when you try to take something away from him that he shouldn't have or when gets angry. What do you do to stop that?

osassysarah

Asked by osassysarah at 11:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay, first of all - DO NOT BITE HIM BACK! I've heard people say this and I think it's a really bad idea. My dd was a bit older when she went through the biting phase. They had a great book that they read to her at school, and it stopped her cold. We have had to discuss biting, and we just emphasize that biting hurts, and we never bite. Can you teach him another strategy to use when he is angry?
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I some what agree with the PP. Bitting back only teaches to bite.

Any time he bites take him away from everything and tell him in a stern voice, Ouch, no biting. Doing this continuoulsy will teach him that he does not get any where by bitting.

HTH
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 12:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009