Ok this out of my realm so help me some of you folks

The bible speaks of "a lake of fire" and back then the earth was believed to be flat.It also speaks of being thrown in the "lake of fire" for sins committed.

Here is the tricky part.I do not think it is symbolic at all but rather their interpretation of the sun setting in the evening and appearing to be..........tada A LAKE OF FIRE.
With some research I found that some people thought that if people disappeared for whatever reason,they had fallen into the lake of fire(off the edge of the earth).I also found that"sinners"were killed in the evening as the sun was setting.

My question is,could this simply have been an overall punishment and not really a "bible" thing?

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 11:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Interesting.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Good Question
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I guess anything is possible.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Makes a lot of sense to me. I think a lot of things in the bible were a lot more literal than we think and had a much different meaning to people at that time than how they are interpretted now because we are looking at it through a very different culture.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You need to realize that most of what is in the bible was based on visions or dreams. It's not literal! It's symbolic. The idea of the burning of the evil comes out of ancient Jerusilum where the criminals were burned just outside the city along with the trash.

You're idea that it's actually refering to the sun is actually a great one. It is very possible that it was the writter's interpertation or personal feelings combineing the belief that the criminals were burned and his uneducated knowledge of the sun...

Good Thinking!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• That is entirely possible!   I always imagined that someone was freaked out by a lava flow.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• WOW!! That was deep! lol.. Yes, it's probable. Same as hell actually stems from bodies being buried in the earth and a forever burning dumpster. Mesh everything together and you have a burning inferno in which all should fear.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Interesting. It's not Heathen, at least not Norse or Germanic - it could've been Anglo but that's all been destroyed so we don't really know for sure what they believed. I would check into Greek and Egyptian ritual, though. They were more amenable to sacrifices than the Heathens - we mostly stuck to animals. India is also a possibility, but again, there's a documentation problem.

To my mind, the lake of fire would be a little more literal - and apply to a sunset over a body of water. Drownings at dusk, maybe?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I believe anything is possible if you believe

Answer by admckenzie at 2:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Interesting perspective however the bible is specific on what the lake of fire is. It is not symbolic but a reality that many choose not to believe in.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009