what is the reason?

I have a question i just want an answer to because ive always wondered, why don't Baptist people dance? I grew up with a girl who couldn't go to dances or parties where there was dancing because she told me they don't do that and i've always wondered why.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know because the bible is full of dancing.Makes no sense does it?
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 11:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I'm not religous, so don't take my word for it, but I was watching the Duggar's wedding (lol) and the bride's dad explained it that dancing made men covet women more or something ridiculous like that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The bible is full of dancing............ to glorify and worship God. Not many people dance to glorify God. I don't have a problem with dancing that does but at the clubs and even school dances the men do hang out on the side and basically drool over the women as they grind themselves together lol! As a person who has the Holy Spirit living in them I think it's a conviction some have on how they want to use/move their bodies. Some feel it's wrong.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Reminds of a joke I once heard: why don't Baptists believe in having sex while standing up? Because it leads to dancing! LOL! Sorry if I offended anyone- for what it's worth it was a Baptist who told me the joke! From my understanding, Baptists do not dance because it's seen as being 'of the world' and promotes lust... but I'm not a Baptist so I can't say for sure.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I believe it something along the reasoning of dancing causes "sexual" type feelings and can lead to fornication. Many Baptists DO dance, slow dance anyway, the bodies are not permited to touch as far as I know but they can touch hands. No sexy dances. And as far as I know married couples are allowed to dance.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My mother was raised in a foster home by a Baptist woman. She had asked the same question. What she was told is that it doesn't glorify God so it was sinful. So that's just one woman's take on the issue from back in 1968. And I ended up being raised with religious ideas highly influenced by this foster woman's ideas of Christianity through my mother.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I used to talk to a guy that was Baptist and didn't dance. We talked about that quite a bit. He wouldn't even consider it. However...he didn't mind suggesting we have phone sex. ( I think that dancing would have been more approved) LOL! I always found that so strange!
    Anonymous

• I'm Baptist and I danced (when I was younger). My Baptist parents were professional dancers; however, my dad's Baptist mom thought they were going to burn in Hell for it. I never understood why either except for the sexual references (rotating hips, bodies up against one another, shaking their groove thing!).

Answer by admckenzie at 2:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• That isn't a rule for all Baptists. Many of my good friends growing up were Baptist and they didn't have any restrictions against dancing.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It is because they see dancing as too sexual.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2009