SOON TO BE HUSBAND

My soon to be husband, Is considering going to the army.

What are the positives?

And the negatives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• positives: Job security and insurance.
    Neg: Really long deployments.

I love the military lifestyle and getting to see new things the deployments are hard though.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It all depends on what his reasoning for joing is. There are positives and negatives to everything. If he doesn't mind being away from the fam for a year at a time, then we will be fine. If he is a big family man and can't miss a minute of family life, then this isn't the place for him. The benefits and pay are good, IMO. I enjoy the lifestyle and all of the places I have gotten to visit and live. He needs to visit an military installation and talk to actual Soldiers to see how he would adapt to the lifestyle.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 2:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• neg- road side attacks! i would rather my dh work for walmart! i wouldnt want to lose him for anything, even though he drives me mad most of the time.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• For newlyweds, there aren't too many positives except the benefits. Find out if he wants to make it a career and then know you will be apart alot.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 3:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

I am a soldier and have been married to a soldier for 12 years and we have spent, maybe 2 years apart. That includes going to Iraq and Afghanistan. Its not as bad as it seems. Its not the right fit for everyone, but, for many, it works just fine.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 4:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009