Why is it......

When Republicans hope for Obama's policies or legislation to fail they are just being good citizens, voicing their opinion, etc but when Democrats wanted Bush's policies to fail or were against the war in Iraq we were traitors and against the troops?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 12:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Excellent analogy! I would love to hear some of the answers to this one (as the wife of a soldier who was told I was a traitor to my country because I was against the Iraq war).
    Anonymous

• Because Republicans are evil, small-minded, war-mongering, facist hate machines. Oh, but don't take it from me, I'm a radical, left-wing, tree-hugging, social-program-supporting, bleeding heart liberal Democrat. :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I never thought that those that opposed Bush's policies were traitors or against the troops (unless they specifically stated that they were). Way to lump everyone into one group. I consider it American to express one's opinions, even when they aren't synonymous with my own.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I never wanted Bush's policies to fail. I was sort of resigned to them being put into place, so I hoped that they would somehow workout. I really would have rather been proven wrong. Oh well.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Because we are arguing against ECONOMIC policies that are going against what MANY MANY economists say won't help. We are SCREAMING about earmarks and massive spending on pet projects that have nothing to do with our economic crisis! This has nothing to do with letting our enemies know we don't back our president in a time of war. THAT is something Al Qaeda and their ilk FEED on and can end up KILLING our men an women in the military.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I never thought that those that opposed Bush's policies were traitors or against the troops

Good for you, but many in the Republican leadership and on talk radio did think and say that, repeatedly. Anyone who questioned Bush or the war was labeled a traitor.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• momof, ummm.... there is no correlation between Al Qaeda and Iraq. Al Qaeda was not in Iraq, they were in Afghanistan. No one had a problem with a war in Afghanistan, we were going after bin Laden and Al Qaeda. The problem was the war in Iraq which was unjustified and took our trops from where they needed to be, Afghanistan.
    Anonymous

• I think people complaining about earmarks need to realize who put those earmarks in.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Ok so why is it when libs are backed against a wall they resort to the gay issue or race card

or this right here
    Anonymous

• There's a difference between supporting your troops at war time and questioning pending legislation. I have seen many people personally attacking people in uniform because of the war. It's like personally attacking someone who has an abortion. I'm sure you wouldn't do that. I find it horrible that people would throw things at a soldier and call the a murderer.

I didn't think it was UnAmerican to question Bush policies. Indeed, I have many differences of Opinion with the former pres. (Mostly fiscal)

So my answer is, the only thing I think is unAmerican is to personally attack or protest our army. They are doing their job. Protest the gov. not the person following orders.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009