Do I have room to complain or should I just deal with it?

I babysit for a few kids during the week. Some regulary and others just here and there. Well there is one little girl who is 18 months old and her mom and I agreed that she would pay $5 an hour. Her mom injured her leg and now has physical therapy. She leaves her daughter with me for about three hours. She only pays me $10 for the three hours instead of $15. She is typically here during lunch time so I end up having to feed her lunch too. Is it bad that I expect $15 instead of $10? Or should I just ignore it and take the $10 without complaining?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I deal's a deal. She understood the $5.00\hour when she was working. I would talk to her about it and ask if she is going to pay the full ammount that she owes you when she is back to work. Where else is she going to find someone to babysit for that price? Sounds to me like it's way cheaper than day care.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If she's injured, she may be short of cash. Is she still able to work?
    Anonymous

• I say ask for what you think you need. Simply say, hey do you think you would consider giving me a lil more money for sitting and then tell her how much.
    Anonymous

• I feel like its a good deal as well. Especially since if her daughter is here all day I only charge her $25. The $5 per hour was only if she was just dropping her off for a couple hours and it was more of a last minute thing.
    Anonymous

• Well I dont think she would be short on cash since she is a SAHM normally. She is currently looking for work so this may become a full time thing at some point. She leaves her with me if she just has other things that need to get done and she cant bring her daughter.
    Anonymous

• Ask for and expect the rest of the money. Don't let people do you that way. Many, many daycare centers make you pay for the week EVEN if your kid isn't there every day of that week.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• $5/ hour is $5/hour. If she wants to pay you $10, she needs to take her kid out during that lunch time. I would explain to her that your needing to feed her too is cutting into the money needed to feed the children. I hope you have a signed contract with her on the money issue though and if you don't, then you need to start doing them in case anything comes up. Your word against her word is never a good situation. And $25 a day is a good price but that doesn't mean that she can come and sit in your house an socialize because she's paying you. Write up a contract and have her sign it. ASAP! Make sure you give her reciepts and keep good records of payments. Part of me has a bad feeling about her.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 1:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• She is taking advantage of you. The only way to stop it is to speak up. You don't have to be rude, just say "Hey we agreed to $5 and you have only been paying me $10 for 3 hours; it should be $15."

If she gets mad, then she won't have you watch her kid again. But you are probably spending most of your $10 to feed the kid anyway so ....it may be worth it to not have to take care of someone else's 18 mo for 3 hours anyway.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 3:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2009