Help with baby sleep!

Ok, I have a 6 month old- he wakes up about 5 times a night, not to eat, but for me. I have started to let him cry it out for about 5-10 minutes each time, then he goes back to sleep - problem being - he gets so worked up he flips himself out of his wedge and onto his stomache, and he does not go to sleep on his tummy. So whenever he cries I have to spy on him and flip him back onto his back when he flips over - how can I get over this? I think it would be avoided all togehter if he stopped waking up so much at night, but I can't seem to get around that - what should I do???

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 12:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why does he sleep in a wedge? Can he roll over on his own yet?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If your baby can flip out of the wedge, then sleeping on his tummy is okay. The fear of belly sleeping is that the baby won't be able to move his head if he can't breath. Your son sounds like he's moving about really good. I would say let him sleep like he wants. SIDS is a scary thing, but I have lost a neice who was a side sleeper and a cousin who was a back sleeper. Sometimes it happens and it has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do. Just take a deep breath and let it go. Make sure the bed is free of toys and excess bedding and you will be fine and so will he!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Because he flips to his stomach and he hates it, so I try to prevent him from rolling over.
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 12:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Can he not roll from his stomach to his back? Maybe this will resolve itself once he can do that. Or maybe this is the motivation he needs to learn to do that. I think if I were you, I'd toss the wedge and just accept that there is going to be a kind of rough transitional period. This too shall pass. Hang in there.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think it's safe to say if he is flipping out of the wedge, it needs to go bye bye!! He will figure out soon enough how to get back on his back!!! I am having the same issue with my daughter right now. She thinks it's fun to roll over, but doesn't know how to get back on her back and she gets maaaad!!! Hehe!
    AmyRae1008

Answer by AmyRae1008 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree, it's a good idea to ditch the wedge. 6 months is the best time to ditch sleeping crutches if they still have them -- we're in the process of weaning 6 mo from swaddling and it's not fun, but we're getting there. I think if you can handle it, crying it out is the best way. Whatever you have to go in and do for your baby, don't feed him. It could even be good to send your partner in if you have one, so that he doesn't associate waking up with mommy time. He should stop bothering to wake up eventually, and learn how to put himself back to sleep on back or tummy.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009