The school district is closing my children's school! Is there anyone here who knows laws re school districts/ budgets in CA???

They have been trying to close the school for years- saying the school is losing money. But the school actually brings in a large amount of tax dollars from the resort community it serves- the school district continues to refuse to provide even a basic budget to show/prove the money isn't there. Now they are attempting to close the school but continue to collect the money from the ed bond/property taxes. WTH?! We (the school) have retained a lawyer- they (the school district) have been threatened with legal action and still no numbers... how can we get this info? Anybody know??

mtnmama111

Asked by mtnmama111 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Many schools will be closing in Cali. My sons school is not going to but two near him are. Next year the class sizes will be 42 in Kindergarten (32 this year) in grades 1-4 there will be 32-36 kids per class (20-25 this year). Education in Cali is a joke. I looked up my sons school on Great schools.net and it scores an 8. I looked at his new school when we move to Iowa and it scores a 7. When you look at what makes the school you realize the 8 in Cali is not as good as the 7 in Iowa. It is based on the state average which is low in Cali and very high in Iowa. I was shocked and felt bad I did not do more research. My sons school only 32 percent of the kids can pass a basic math test for their grade. That is pathetic. This is not hard testing just giving the kids math problems and they cannot do them. Cont.

Anonymous

• Cont.
    Schools need to be about the kids and not the teachers unions. Until that happens more schools will close and more children will not be educated.
    Anonymous

• We specifically chose this school- we drive our grrls an hour to get there. Passing by 3 others in our journey. It is a good school. They are trying to hide some funny money handling IMO. The school is not very expensive and actually brings in more than it costs. but the SD refuses to let any of their figures go public! Isn't that supposed to be public info??
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Ask the lawyers. If they can't answer your questions, you need new lawyers.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I am also in CA and my school district is losing ALL of thier classroom Aides.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If the lawyers can't answer you I sure can't.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 2:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Same here. There will only be one aide per class for Kindergarten and none for the upper grades. Two adults for 40+ kids does not sound like a great learning environment. It is no wonder in most of the classes that most of the kids cannot pass a basic math or reading test.
    Anonymous

• GOOOOOO OBAMA!!!

Anyone regretting their vote for him yet?!

It's not going to get any better...it's going to be far worse--especially once another 20 MILLION illegals are granted amnesty and start sucking more funding out of the system. Yippee ki-yay!
    Anonymous

• This is not Pres Obama's fault... it is actually the fault of the conservative town/region where we live. Sen. Feinstein has helped us by getting us an earmark!! on the omnibus bill... the lawyer is far away and working for cheap for us- I was hoping for some helpful advice from people with knowledge, not attitudes...
    They already stole our aide, our bus, the cook, recess aide. The staff is one teaching principal- who is AWESOME but stretched too thin trying to teach and fighting to save the school. She is probably going to at the least be *demoted* but she isn't concerned about this- the school is her concern.
    She has a secretary- 20 hours/week minus 11 hours of which she now has to spend doing lunch duty since they (SD) stole the aide... and a two day a week janitor. That is it. Last year they (SD) gave the school $162 TOTAL for supplies. That and utilities is it.
    Somehow, about $500,000 goes unaccounted for every year...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2009