Is Drug Addiction a Disease or Responsibility?

Just had a conversation about it with a group of people and they're all saying it's a disease. What do you think? Do you think that it should be referred to as a deadly illness? I personally don't think it is a disease. I believe it's a choice someone is making day-after-day. Not a disease. I think people just call it a disease so they don't have to take any responsibility for it.

My husband was an addict and he never once referred to it as a disease.

Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• it is something that you chose, so therefore it becomes an addiction when you do it over and over. so i don't know how anyone can call it a disease, that's a copout.
    Anonymous

• Not sure what to call it..My brother was a coke addict for over 20 years..

I can tell you this though...they do have to take responsibility for it...

They have to take responsibility for all the horrible choices they made while being and addict and they have to take responsibility for all the people they hurt along the way...

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• it is a disease because when they first start they have control over it but after time the addiction takes control and for them they can not stop because they now need what ever they are addicted to.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• it's both. The responsibility part comes before you start. . .you don't take illegal, addictive drugs. It's your decision to live responsibly. I have a huge history of family dependancy-I'll never try an illegal drug, and I'm really careful what I take from the doc.

Some drugs alter the responses in the brain after just one use, quickly becoming a disease that needs treatment. Sadly, many never recover.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• to some degree it is both. Some people are easily addicted to things, some are just lazy and don't want to make different choices.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Responsibility. How does one become addicted to drugs? By making a choice to start using. There are people who are weak minded who have an addictive personality but I don't think it is a disease just poor character and are weak minded. They can change if they can muster the strength to do so.

Anonymous

• Not a disease, a choice. My sister became addicted to pain meds. Not because she had some disease, but because she got hooked and couldn't let go. When people refer to it as a disease or genetics I get mad. You become what you want to become based on your choices.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If you had someone close to you go through that battle you would know that it is a disease. While its a choice they have to make everyday to not pick it back up... but it is a nasty disease that is heart breaking. It is such a battle. Ugh.
    My brother too was a coke addict, luckily he is clean now but while they are going through it it is terrible.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think it's both. If I have diabetes, for example, I am still responsible for doing something about it. I can't just lay down and give up on life. I would be expected to take steps to manage my disease, so that I can be healthy and not be a burden. Same goes for diseases of addiction.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• There are diseases we get by choice, as well. Like lung cancer from smoking, for example. That's still a disease, even though the person who gets it chose to do that to themselves day after day after day. Just because there was choice involved doesn't automatically make something not a disease. Just a thought.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009