Help!

How do I get my 5 week old BF baby to take a bottle? He won't have anything to do with it!

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ooooh man do I know how you feel!! My DD is 4 months and still can't take a bottle!! She wants to but just can't seem to latch-- she drinks it from a cup and loves it!

I hope to be able to pass what I've learned onto you.

First question- does he want to take it or does he immediately get mad at it?? Or does he want it but just can't seem to figure it out.

-Are you introducing it in a way that he can become familiar with it?? i.e. don't force it or just put it in his mouth. Let him taste the milk from the tip a little and put it on his lips and then pull it away and then bring it back

-Are other people holding him and feeding him- or are you? Put him in his carseat, or swing and try having someone feed him (and even feeding him from behind so that he doesn't see them-- or anyone for that matter. They can also try walking with him and giving him the bottle. Set him sitting on someones lap facing away from them.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Try different bottles. The playtex drop in bottles have tons of different nipples. Even ones that are similar to the breast. You can buy a starter kit and it comes with 5 different nipples to try!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I've got the playtex drop-ins, the ventaire, a couple of Dr. Browns, and some nuby. he will actually take the drop-in bottles for a minute but then starts crying and fussing.
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Try the medium flow, the slow flow just pissed my. Just be patient, he will eat when he is ready.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• as PP said it may be the flow of the bottle. If he's used to getting his milk fast from your breast then he probably needs a faster nipple. you will know right away when you try it, if all the milk is flowing out of his mouth and he is coughing then it is too fast. I use drop-ins bottles with my son with the LATEX nipples, they are much easier for him to use. What i had to do was test each nipple myself to determine the flow because some of them didn't flow at all and some of the ones labeled slow flow actually flowed really fast, so i would put some water in the nipple and suck on it then categorize it and label with permanent marker if it wasn't what it said it was. the ones that didn't flow at all i altered with a hot needle. hope this helps.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• (I ran out of room)

Try all the different bottles and nipples! Playtex is good because it has the liner (you can pulse the milk bag in a way that he nurses)

If all else fails, there are several ways to feed him. A spoon, a medicine dropper, a dental syringe... does he take a pacifier? If so try that brand.

It's going to take some time!! If he gets extremely frustrated then feed him. If he's frustrated right away, then try to walk with him or comfort him so he calms down and then try again.

Try feeding him with a bottle right before he wakes up fully. Or even if he's sleeping (for some reason they can suck better! and they don't know what they're sucking :) )

Don't wait till he's crying to feed him. If you feed him every 2 hours try giving him a bottle 30 minutes after you feed him or even an hour after. He'll be more willing to explore something new than to try to figure out how to get milk when he's starving
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Also--- call LLL (le leche league)

They are very supportive of breast feeding and has a million tips and tricks for these kind of things. Just call a a local LLL leader and they'll give you some great advice. Let me know how it works out! Hope it all helped...
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Getting a breastfed baby to take a bottle can be hard!
    A few tips to try...
    Try a bunch of different bottles... my son took the Breastflow bottles
    Have some one else do the feeding... and don't even be in the same room... they can smell you!
    Try different hunger states... very hungry or somewhat satsfied... slip it in during a breastfeedhing. Try when he is almost asleep
    Try holding different ways... when my son eats from me (from a bottle) he wants to be held tight like when he is breastfed... but if DH does it then he likes to be on his lap and at daycare he would rather not be held and likes to sit in his bouncy seat and get his bottle.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2009