Question about military...

My husband has said that he is thinking about joining the military. My question is what branch has the best benefits, what branch is less likely to be deployed or has the shorter deployment time...Just anything you could tell me about the military would be great...We want to find out as much as we can before actually going and talking to someone about it. LOL, wasnt sure which catagory to put this in!

Briyawna

Asked by Briyawna at 12:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hey!! i would definately join the air force. thats what branch daniel was in. there deployed for only 4 months at a time at mconnell. granted it is a few times a year but at least he wont be gone for a whole year straight or more. plus they usually dont send them in right where the major fighting is. make sure he doesnt sign up for a crew chief though my husband hated that job!
    hot_mammaof2

Answer by hot_mammaof2 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It does not matter what branch of the military you are in the pay is the same and health insurance is the same. Each branch and unit have their own ways of treating their soldiers.
    For pay info visit http://www.dfas.mil/

For housing https://onestop.army.mil/

Housing allowance rate info http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html
    mssamantha72

Answer by mssamantha72 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree with Mssamantha about the health/death benefits & pay, it's the same across the board. I think Air Force has the shortest deployments, but it might be more often because it's such a short time frame. Most jobs are deployable, but some are less likely. Maybe something in admin, but that can be boring if he's not an office type person. If he's joining, he should count on going somewhere. My husband is a Marine. I loved the lifestyle, the closeness & the pride. The Navy Docs (Corpsman) are great too. They usually have 7 month deployments.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If you want a short deployment go Air Force or check out the Coast Guard. The branches of the service all have the same benefits: post housing, good medical, family support groups.... you just have to be proactive in your research sometimes. My husband is Army and the only thing I don't like is the long deployment times. I can handle it though, I just wish it were shorter. Although, I think I'd rather have my husband gone for a year and home for a year than gone for 4 months, home for 6 months and then gone for 4 months again. By the time I'd get into a routine it would get screwed up again. But that's just me.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 1:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Oh, and if you have specific Army questions you'd like answered, feel free to send me a PM.
    mommalady

• I would think it would also be something he might choose based on the type of work he wants to do, too. Try the different websites!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009