My kids don't seem to appreciate the things they have! Am I a bad mother?

I feel like I am failing as a mom! My kids (in my opinion) don't seem to appreciate what they have, like it's never enough! (My FRIEND has this and I don't!) Against my better judgement my husband just bought our son an XBOX 360 for $300 and now my son is complaining that he doesn't have the 'right' games for it! I want to pull out my hair! I told him to go find a job mowing lawns and buy some games for himself! Am I wrong here!

4kidsandadog

Asked by 4kidsandadog at 12:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You are not wrong. I don't know if all kids do this but mine do it too. I don't think that I am a bad parent I just know that mine need to work for there stuff more. Instead of me just giving them stuff they need to work for it. So make him earn his own money, my daughter did last summer and she earned enough to buy a nintendo ds and if she wants the new one that is coming out soon then she will earn that one too.
    luchousdiva

Answer by luchousdiva at 4:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I do not think you are wrong at all.. I started working at the age of 12 1/2... Kids today are very spoiled. I remember as a kid not appreciating stuff either.. You start to appreciate when you work for it.

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• NO! Youre not wrong. This is a classic case of entitlement and over indulged children. Most of american children are plagued with it, including mine, so I can definately relate. I have one child that seems to be a bit more eat up with it than the others, but we do live in a very affluent city and its hard to fight against something thats an epidemic in the schools. I would definately consider helping him find a summer or after school job. Cutting grass is good as well as helping other people in the neighborhood or simply just working for you. If you are going to dole out the money anyway, then make him work for your money. He needs to have chores that involve taking responsibility for HIS things that aren't paid and then allow him to earn extra for other things. Another thing that this one child of mine struggles with is instant gratification...she wants it NOW. Making them wait for a certain time helps learn patience too.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• no you are not a bad mother you just have greedy kids lol lmine are the same way.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Nope, kids are just lazy and greedy today... Even mine, and I kick them out of the house to use their imaginations every chance I can (which is very limited right now). During the week, I don't allow electronics of any sort, weekends they can have tv, but we try NOT to be home on the weekends LOL. Also, besides their small iPod Shuffles and simple Gameboys, all electronics are mine and their father's. We have the PS2, PS3, Computers, Nintendos, Wii, etc. They barrow my stuff, which teaches them how to respect it (but they STILL manage to damage some stuff). So please don't feel bad...
    Mi_Chelly

Answer by Mi_Chelly at 1:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think your kids seem normal.

Every generation seems greedy to the one before it.

Don't you remember being a kid?

That being said - you need to set firm guidelines and instill a little respect (and just a touch of fear) into them.

Good luck!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You aren't a bad mom. I don't know how old your child is, and I think that makes a difference.
    Personally, I would take the xbox away, and tell him that he doesn't need the right games for it now, anyway.
    Then I'd make him earn the right to play the "wrong" games by working for it.

Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 4:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• No you're not a bad mom. I personally think though that big ticket items like that should be earned not just given to them. It's hard for anyone to be grateful when they get thinks for nothing. They'll start to think that they're entitled to it and if it doesn't keep coming they will complain because they feel as if they're being short changed. Maybe you can give him things to do around the house and he earn allowance so that he will be able to buy the games he want.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You're definitely not wrong.. I think we, as parents, always try to give our kids "what we didn't have as kids".. I just saw a program the other night where a child was made to give away his favorite toy to a charity.. I thought "What a great idea!". It teaches our kids that not all have "the newest gadget" and also makes them appreciate more what they do have.. Teaches humility also!

toadilypeachy

Answer by toadilypeachy at 4:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We make celebrations about the birth of Jesus, not the stuff, same with Easter. Birthdays, either a few gifts 2 or 3 they really love, OR a family trip that they love, Statue of Liberty, White house tour, the beach. Celebrating the person is so special. If they choose a party and the few gifts they usually like to cook with friends, rent movies and have friends sleep over and leave after a pancake feast.
    buffalogirl

Answer by buffalogirl at 5:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009