Asking for an induction?

My girlfriend just recently had her baby girl about a month back. She was 39 weeks when she gave birth and until recently I had thought she only had an induction because her own labor wasn't progressing. She just told me the other day though that she had asked to be induced because she was tired of being pregnant and uncomfortable and her doctor had no problem with it and went ahead and set up the induction. I've never heard of this. Is that a normal standard now-a-days and do you think that it's safe for mother and child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As a Doula, I know this is not a safe trend...and I say trend because doctors are trying to please their grumpy/selfish clients. The safest time to have a baby is when baby decides he/she is ready to meet this world, and they start the labor process (after 40 weeks gestation). Another thing to consider; with the first 'intervention' cascades the rest, because inductions are far more painful labors than baby induced labors. You are forcing your body to do something that it is not ready to do, nor might the baby be ready. Then because you can't handle to pain...now you are pumping baby full of narcotics which they can't handle either! Wake up America!!!
    DoulaJudi

Answer by DoulaJudi at 1:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have never heard of this. My doctor wouldn't induce me until after I had reached 41 weeks. they say the chances of ending up with a c-section are drastically increased if you are induced and your cervix aren't 'ripe.' I ended up with an emergency c-section after 27 hours of induced labor, i only dilated to 3 cm's.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't think it is a normal standard, I think it just depends on your doctor. My last doctor the LAST thing they wanted to do was induce me. With this pregnancy the doctors told me that I can schedule to be induced to make sure I give birth while my husband is here (military). I don't know if its "safe", once again, that probably depends, but is it the BEST way to go? Probably not.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I wouldnt do it... first you should do some research on inductions vs. C- sections. seems alot of them result in having a c-section. OMG that is the worst! something I would surely avoid if you can. GL n congrats
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 1:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It is becoming more *normal* - but not *optimal*...baby sends a message to the mama when baby is completely developed and ready to be born...that signal is what prompts the start of labor. Without this signal, there is SOME reason baby is not ready yet. Best to wait.
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 1:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• in my experience I have seen that owmen lie about how "uncoforyibe" they are and about other tings to get their docs to induce them then to not look bad they tell it dif. I was induced because I dont feel contractions and with both kids thre was a real bas snow storm comming and I'm at least 40mins from the hospital in opt conditions. So since I was 5cc dialted and the non stress test showed I was having contractions every 2 minutes they sent me over to get induced. I pushed with my son for 4 1/2 hours with my daughter two pushes BUT she had respitory issues and was in the NICU for 10days part of that time 5 days she was in an incubator, with oxygen tubes, feeding tubes, IV, etc... A baby knows when it's time, if I have another child I'm letting nature take it's course, I've leaned enough now that I'm not scared to have to diliver at home if I HAVE to.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes, I was surprised when I heard how easily her OB went along with the induction. I thought that typically they only induced if you were pretty far over your due date or their were complications. She said that her OB does it all the time though, so I wondered if it was more common than I had believed. Her baby arrived healthy and well, thank goodness, but I was thinking the same as others that it is best to just wait for baby to be ready and have labor initiate itself if possible. I wonder how these doctors determine if inducing is okay or not?
    Anonymous

• It's becoming more prevalent for women to request an induction or c-section.

I was induced with my two oldest...but they were suspected to be big babies (over 9lbs) and I was having problems with my left leg collapsing with my first (falling that far pregnant was NOT fun!) I was 39 weeks 5 days with the first and 39 days with the second.

The hospital here doesn't allow inductions without medical reasons.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Unfortunately its becoming more common everyday for women to ask for inductions and c-sections and to get them and the gestational age at wich its done also seems to be going down.
    A lot of women don't seem to realize that there are more risks involved in doing both than there are with normal natural labor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009