store made babies vs home made babies?

yesterday someone posted a question about being able to make your baby the way that you want. well this got me to thinking, if people that make there babies and get to choose what they want there babies to have does it end with just how they look or could they also make them smarter or make them have some sort of special talent? also knowing that an average American can not afford to pay for a made baby but rich people can do you think that rich people will try to make there babies smart so that they can hold the higher paying jobs? making it harder for an average American to get that type of job. do you think that if this was to happen that it could cause some type of segregation between made babies and home made babies?
this is a three part question sorry, but it just got me to thinking how cruel and unfair this is to the kids.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is totally dangerous. It devalues those who are not deemed ideal. I have three children. My twins have learning disabilities, fairly serious, they may never live completely independently. Does that make them less valuable than my "normal" child? Then there is the issue of those who's disability is from a birth accident. I take care of a little girl who has sever brain damage due to the cord being wrapped around her neck. She is a beautiful child, but is medically dependant and probably will be for the rest of her life. But she is a blessing to my life. So is she less valuable? The problem with most of these situations is that we develop the technology before we stop to think about the ethics. The whole situation with IVF and what to do with the frozen embryos, cloning, etc. As a society we haven't thought these things out.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Well, that just takes all the fun out of making babies, doesn't it?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yup... Making babys is for haveing super hott sex an have an end result... LOL Not pickn and for the chosen... Get real.. PPL are losing it... Why would they even think this sh*t up, what happend to the ol suprise!! factor...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Ever seen the movie Gattaca? That's exactly what happened in the society portrayed in that movie. It's the story of a home-made baby (I think they call them children of god) trying to make it in a designer baby society.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• That's a good movie actually riotgrrl. Yes, I can really see that happening with these latest "advancements."
    Anonymous

• I think that is about exactly what would happen.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• to me it is sad because some people think that it is OK, like a lot of women said for health reason they would do it but guess what you could still get killed by a drunk driver even though you made your baby not have any health problems.
    when i see someone that can sing or dance or play sports really well or they are really smart i know that god made them that way for a reason and that is there talent that was given to them. but if we make our babies have talents how is that a talent.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Since they cannot define how intelligence and talent exist - how will they be able to build that into a child. We understand the chromosomes and how to move them about to get a physically healthy child, but there is so much argument that emotional and intelligence attributes are a combination of genetics and environment. Gattaca talked about building a superior physical being and then training them on the traits, not building traits into from development.

Still, I find that I cannot say yes or no if I would engineer my childs physicality or not. I obviously didn't and am pretty damn pleased with what I came up with.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• This already happens on a smaller scale. Designer Babies are nothing new. There are services that people can use where they select a donor egg or sperm based on characteristics they like or an education level that they admire. They can attempt to have your baby be born in with the desired characteristics by pairing egg and sperm that contain the necessary dominant and recessive genes for the characteristics desired. When I was in college, we spent quite a great deal of time on this topic in my Bioethics class. We watched interviews with women who, instead of using their own husband's sperm, went and got "Ivy League" sperm to impregnant themselves (their husbands totally OK with this). And yes, this is something that is only available to the wealthy. Not to mention, many wealthy have already bought their way through life and purchased grades better than those that earned them, before this service even existed.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• There's ALWAYS been some sort of a divide.

When people seek to control genetics completely, weeding out the weak and only letting certain "desireable" people reproduce, THEN I'll be scared. Read "The Giver."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009