for all you SAHM

i just recently was able to be able to stay home with my babies(yea!!!) but now i'm in the situation where i'm all out of crafting, we've baked to our hearts(and fridge) content, we've read constantly....what else is there to do? oh, and we go to the park. i'm needing some new ideas, i don't like just being still and neither do my kids. they are almost 3 and just turned 4. my oldest is 7, but he usually has homework after school, and is content to just sit in my lap.

love.life

Asked by love.life at 1:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• we dance we sing we read color run through the house acting like fools play tickles go for walks when weather permits.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't know about you, but our local library has free "cultural passes." You can check them out for the day and go to the zoo, Omsi, Children's Museum, Chinese gardens...and a bunch of other places like that. I love to do these things with my kids, but I can't afford the $40 a trip bank breaker. We pack a lunch & go...something to check out...just an idea :)
    psydney42

Answer by psydney42 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We like board games, going to ymca to swim indoors, scrapbooking, there are tons of crafts online to make for holidays. I just did one for girl scouts where you cut toilet paper rolls into 4 circles. Cut constructon paper to wrap around and color a paper egg. Look at DLTK crafts. The ones we made were napkin holders for easter and egg holders to display colored eggs down the center of the table.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• sometimes libraries and bookstores have storytime on certain days for kids, go for a walk, sing, dance, play games, make a fort inside, watch movies, have a pajama party, have "school" or learning time.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have been a stay at home mommy for many years. I clean my house and let the kiddos help, color, do arts and craft, do therapy with them to stimulate their minds, print off some flash cards and help them learn colors, letters, and numbers. Go to Family Fun magazine website for some great craft ideas.
    My favorite craft and its really low budget is go to the Dollar Tree or something like that and get some Foam Shaving cream, tablecloth (which is definetly reusable for messy craft) food coloring, paper plates or coffee filters, and popsicle sticks. You lay down the table cloth on your kitchen table and spray some of the shaving cream in front of each child. Let them pick the colors they want and squirt the food coloring of their choice into the shaving cream. Let them stir it with the popsicle stick into the design that they like. Press the coffee filter or paper plate on top and let dry. You will have a tye dye work of art.
    momof5inohio

Answer by momof5inohio at 1:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Another fun thing to do is just spray shaving cream on the table and let them play with it. Right after straight to the bath they smell good. :)
    Another get a plastic bin and fill it up with rice or dry beans or safe package nuts something good for their senses. Hide dinosaurs figures, little people, or little fake bugs. Ask the child to find for example a red bug. If they dont get it let the next child have a turn. etc... etc.. Its a fun game and they are learning to describe thing, different textures, and learning to take turns.
    If you need more ideas feel free to pm me. Best of luck. Inga
    momof5inohio

Answer by momof5inohio at 1:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Sounds like it's time to build.....da da-dud-da..... A FORT! Go to a furniture store (they will give you some big ole boxes...... cut holes and windows, color the outside, draw flower boxes under the windows, make hall-ways and use boxes laid down to connect the rooms...... my boys had the biggest blast with cardboard forts! They last about 3 weeks with pretty hard play. I served lunch in there, we pretended to one was an ice cream shop (complete with play money and real ice cream. There's a thousand ideas when it comes to forts.... like shopping, eating out, doctor office, car dealer, etc. You name it. We even took up more than one room sometimes. Like the car dealership was in the bedroom, the shopping mall was in another and our house was in another still.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Oh and at 3 & 4 they are learning....... when my boys were 2 & 4 I painted one half of one wall in their room with black-board paint and many, many days we played school.... I let them be the teacher and they loved it.... and they learned too. Plus they could write all over the wall and never get into trouble. They drew all kinds of things on that wall....
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• thank you for all your suggestions, they sound great!!! cept we don't have a zoo or museum anywhere close=(....
    love.life

Answer by love.life at 3:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We do all kinds of things. I sell Usborne books www.ubah.com/u2688 and they have great activity books for kids your age (my son is 4) and we bought the Ready to Write, Ready to Read, Starting to Add, Reading, Writing and Opposites books. They're activities/worksheets and theyre only 4.99 a piece. The nice thing is you can photocopy them and do them every single day. I have 15 minutes set aside for math, reading, writing, science etc every day and its fun and they learn a lot! We have nature time outside. Collect leaves and talk about them, collect different rocks then paint them together, talk about the different animals you see etc. We cook together every day! Life is much less boring if you have a schedule set up that each day you do this at this time! And it stays fun! GL!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 9:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2009