What age do I stop formula?

My DD is 10 months and I am weaning her off the breast and onto formula.

Until what age does she still need a bottle of formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think at one year you can start giving them cow's milk?
    lvlymummy08

Answer by lvlymummy08 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• formula until 1 year old
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It depends on the pediatrician and your own personal feelings on the matter.

Our boys were eating all table foods, a balanced and varied diet, so our pediatrician said we could put them on milk if we wanted to. Their nutrition was coming from their food so there was no need for the formula any longer. (we also had no food allergies in the family)

I would not suggest doing it that way without the guidance of your pediatrician, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• im not sure if you'v ever heard of the WIC program, they provide formula, cereal, etc. they start giving Whole milk at 12 months, i would say about 1 yr. My lil 1 was drinking Milk since about 10 months... no problems tho:)
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 2:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• They say no formula after 1 yr but id talk to the dr about skipping formula.WTG mama
    Anonymous

• Unless your doctor gives the ok, don't switch to cow's milk or drop the formula until 12 months. Even if they seem to handle cow's milk ok sooner, it can make their stomach walls bleed! My friend's a pediatrician and has seen a lot of sick babies as a result of this, so she convinced me to wait even though lots of other friends started cow's milk slowly around 10-11 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009