anyone have an infant with crohnes disease? (graphic about poop)

My 5 month old MIGHT have Crohnes Disease :( she poops 10+ times a day, lots of liquid mucus and sometimes blood, and it seems to really hurt her when she goes. Also the poop is so acidic that even if I change her right away (and since her BMs are so loud and explosive they are hard to not notice) it eats through her soft little skin and she has HORRIBLE diaper rash even with Desitin and A&E Ointment. Poor girly is in so much pain! She is exclusively breastfed- I eat well, I don't take drugs, and she certianly doesn't take anything. Is this Crohnes? What else could it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you elminated dairy from you diet ? That means all dairy like casein, whey, etc...

I would set up a doctors appointment to do a food allergy panel and also maybe a test for Celiacs. I do not know enough about chrons..does someone in your family have it ?

I am thinking dairy here though with the blood/mucus. Though I am not expert here, just first thing that popped into my head. The doctor can lead you down a better path and even give you a referral to a GI doc.

Anyway in the meantime start today, cut out the dairy and while you are waiting see if you notice an improvement.

For diaper rash but some bag balm in a green tin. It is sold in the beauty section at drug stores or behind the counter at Target etc...or at least it was. I swear that stuff is magical. Also try to air out her butt when you can.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 1:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have never heard of an infant having crohns... I would bet it's something else.
    I would change your diet... like the pp suggeted cut out ALL dairy... and maybe even gluten free (not sure how it passes though breastmilk but I know it can cause lots of tummy trouble)
    I would see her pediatrician about it ASAP and maybe a GI specialist
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• This is the OP- She is not allergic to dairy, the doc has confirmed that one b/c that was the first theory.
    Anonymous

• Has the Dr. done a blood antibody test for celiac? It usually doesn't show up until after solids are started but I have heard of cases where baby was sensitive to the gluten from moms diet in moms milk. Some babies will have problems this extreme form a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or oversupply. Read up on those at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My daughter had what you have described, they said she had what is called rotor-virus, I am not real sure of the spelling of this virus, it causes a lot of loose stool, along with of course diaper rash. She was hospitalized for this just to watch for dehydration, as far as the virus itself, they told me there was no medication, it had to run its course. They could has this for as long a 6 months.
    luckily she only had it bad for around 3 weeks, then it started to slow down, then went away. I would take her to her pedi and ask about this virus. Good Luck, I hope she gets better soon
    Anonymous