If you took a family member in with their child , and more than one person can agree that there is no parenting , dicipline, going on , what are we allowed to do or say?

I mean i know there are boundries . But if your going to basicly support this person and her child, dont you have a right to speak up or suggest things? Where are the limits ? Just how far can we go as far as rules for the house...i.e, no cussing, clean after yourself an baby, keep noise down, keep baby out of things, parent son is general..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• well my 19 yo nephew moved in with certain rules. He had 3 weeks to find a job. I didn't care what but he had to have some means of income. He was also told that he would follow the same rules as my children even though he is technically an adult. He had chores. And since he has no license he also was to pay for gas for us to run him to and from work. He did not have to pay rent or for food.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If they live under your roof, they go by your rules. Set the boundaries!!!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• There can be some blurry lines between setting your own house rules, and telling someone else how to parent. You have the right to do the first but not the second. Probably the best way to handle it would be for everyone in the household to sit down together and discuss what is and isn't working and hammer out some standards and agreements that you can all live with.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Thats a hard one because it is still her child. But your home. How she parents her child will directly effect your home. I would have to tell her what her son can and cant do, and what she needs to do. If those rules cant be met then she must find another place to stay. If you want the independence of not having rules then you'd better get yourself your own home. But teach her how to discipline because maybe she doesnt know how.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Mama champ , thats just what i am afraid of..
    My son is pretty well behaved. He has his little routine going.
    She doesnt parent at all.
    When she has come over in the past, she would literally sit on my couch the whole time while he son has his hands in my toilet. He is 1 1/2 years old and still on the bottle.
    Hubs already told her he when she comes to stay , hes off of it that day.
    Its that kind of stuff im talking about.. She supports aot of his distructive behavior. Like throwing his food when eating...she thinks thats funny.
    My son is like a walking sponge..just like any 4 year old. If he sees that its okay for his cousin to do it and not be diciplined, hed feel its okay to do..

Its alot of work to dicipline son..this is what im really concerned about.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If I took anyone "in" they would have to follow the laws of the land (aka MY HOUSE MY RULES) or they can look elsewhere. Visiting kids can keep to their own ways, I don't care, they don't live with me.
    Terry22

Answer by Terry22 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yea.. agree..
    It doesnt help that fact that we bought some new couches that are being delivered in a week ..

if we knew, we would have waited...seriously.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• who am i kidding , its just stuff "...

... whatever happens, God has complete control.. :)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009