the unforgivable sin?

My husband and I were discussing this. He is agnostic and I am a Christian. He says that God can not forgive all sins so therefore how can he be all powerful. I did some research and I found an article saying that if you are saved through Christ you can not commit this sin.

But what if you're not saved and you blasphemy the Holy Spirit? Does God really not forgive you?? * Mark 3:22-30* *Matthew 12:31-31*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think people complicate things to much these days. Simple answer...follow the ten commandments...period.
    Anonymous

• When you deny the Holy Spirit you deny the part of God that lives within you, so if you deny the Holy Spirit you have effectively not allowed God to live with in you and then you can not be in communication with Christ and the Father so you are not a Christian and so your sins are not forgiven.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 2:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• ditto to higherboundmom

Answer by admckenzie at 2:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the unforgivable sin. What it means is rejecting Jesus Christ. God the Father and Holy Spirit. If you do not accept Jesus as Lord and Savior you have committed the unforgivable sin which in the bible says you do not have entrance to Heaven. Sin cannot enter into Heaven period. Now if you ask God into your heart . Ask for forgiveness AND repent that changes things. When you reject His love you have rejected Him. Unbelief , an unforgiving and unrepentant heart sends you to hell. It is about choices that you make.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not the 'regular' blasphamy as in speaking ill of someone. It means willfully denying and rejecting God's grace and forgiveness. Those who are guilty of this sin are those who knowling and willingly refuse to respond to God's grace and repent their sins.

There are no limits to God's mercy -- but those who refuse to accept God's mercy by repenting, those who reject the forgiveness and salvation offered by the Holy Spirit , they commit the unforgiveable sin. Not because God can't or won't forgive it but because the person has so hardened their heart that. The limit isn't on God or His mercy, the limit is on the person's willingness to respond to God's grace and accept God's mercy.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• excellent answer Eringobrough!!!! Well explained and said!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• god forgives anything you repent. god loves the sinner and hates the sin (st augustine), as long as you show improvent you are fine. there is no unforgivable sin. other than mullets.. jk!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't understand how denying Christ can be an unforgiveable sin.Keep in mind that I do not put much stock in the bible.I do know that most Christians used to deny Christ.So if that is an unforgivable sin,how can they be Christians now?
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 3:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think it's all just a scare tactic...if God does exist how can he possibly forgive child rapists, molesters, murderers ect? All that he can forgive but he won't forgive you for not letting the holy spirit in...give me a break!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't care for scare tactics.I don't think it is real if you are scared into it.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 11:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2009