How can I safely get my 18 month old to take her medicine?

My husband holds her down and shoves it into her mouth while she kicks and screams. I worry she will breathe it into her lungs if she is screaming and has the medicine shoved down her throat. He acts like a jackass because I'm worried she's going to choke. I put it in a bottle with juice and she won't touch it. Please, Please.. tell me you have a better way. I don't want me and my husband to have problems about this, but I very strongly disagree with shoving these medicine down her throat while she's screaming.

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 1:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you put it in the bottle don't let her see you do it. I hold my kids down by holding their arms under my leg(not hurting them) then sweeze their cheeks and put the medicine on the inside of their cheek so I'm not forcing it down the throat but they can't spit it out if it's on their cheeks. Also if you see that shes starting to spit it out blow in her face(not crazy, just slightly blow) and she'll swallow. It sounds harsh but when you do it you'll see that it isn't at all.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 1:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• tell her you'll give her a piece of candy if she takes it like a big girl and then put it in a dropper and put it in her mouth. Just make sure you give her the candy afterwards. This worked for us. And since my daughter doesn't ever get candy she is really excited to do it. LOL
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Niether of those work. We've tried chocolate, but shes too young to understand. And holding her down is what we've been doing.. she still chokes. Well, I guess we haven't tried putting it in her cheek. Or blowing in her face.. we'll try that. Hopefully I can get some other ideas though..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 3:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think most have to hold out kids down. I hold mine in my arms and give it to them very slowly so they don't choke or have so much they can spit it out. After even if they thow a fit I tell them how good they did and how happy I am they took all their medicen. Most kids want to please so try not to make it to stressful. I try to tell them by taking the medicen they are going to get better, even if they don't understand fully at least your talking about what is going on.
    Anonymous

• Here's what I have done. when younger I put it in a small bottle and mixed with milk/formula or juice. Now that she's off the bottle she wants nothing to do with it. I use the shooter thing put in small amounts at a time. She doesn't have all her teeth yet, so when she closes her mouth, I cna still push it in through her lips and gums. So that works soemtimes. Or I try putting it in a plastic shot glass and letter her drink it like a big girl (mix it with juice or milk). I have tried the medicine spoon thingy for kids that looks like a vile with a spout. She likes that sometimes b/c it's different. I have tried in the sippy cup -- I have a nuby one that she can get all the juice out of so I do a small amount in there. I've tired putting it in her cheeck. Some times it works, others she opens her mouth and leans forward and lets it all fall out! Just keep trying.
    Anonymous

• if you are worried about her choking blow in her face when you put it in her mouth she will sallow and she will not be able to breath in in her lungs since it take their breath away it worked with both of mine
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Do it with one of you holding her, and the other working the dropper. This way you can do it with her sitting upright, and there's at least less chance of choking.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• With my son I either wait till something destracts him or I destract him with something then I really quickly give it to him while he's not paying attention and he has already swallowed it by the time he realizes what happened
    Mrs.Jolly

Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 9:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2009