Breaking the news to a 5 year old

I recently found out i was pregnant with my second child, and i already have a 5 year old son. We thought it would be nice for him to have a sibling, but now that we have one on the way, i have no idea how to break the news to him. We have tried to warm him up to the idea by saying how cool it would be to be a big brother, and stressed the importance that role, and how special he is no matter what. But whenever anything is mentioned about it, he is VERY opposed to the idea. I'm sure that once the baby is here he will be excited, but i have no idea how to come out and tell him the news! Any ideas?

tete9703

Asked by tete9703 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was 8 when my little brother was born and from the stories my mother tells me I was the same way. Not happy at all about having another sibling. Once he arrived it was a whole different story. I was Mommy Jr. and still am, lol. I would just tell him and try to make him as comfortable with it as possible, but I wouldn't expect him to be too excited or too involved before the baby arrives. I would keep him involved though, so he feels like he is a big part of everything that's going on. Good luck, Momma! :)
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 2:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• When I told my son I was having a second child, he was 4. I told him I had a big surprise for him. He was going to be a big brother because I was having another baby. He also was upset at first, but then he got excited and loved telling everyone I was pregnant. Your son needs to warm up to the idea. Theres really no magic way to break the news to kids, just make sure he gets some attention too, which I'm sure he already does.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was 10 when I was pregnant with the twins. We took her out to a place she likes to eat (it has a game area) and told her we had some big news. We told her she was going to be a big sister times two. She was initially stunned and very quiet (not at all normal for her), but by the time we left the game room she was starting to say a few things about the babies. After I put her in bed that night she called me back to her room and told me how excited she was. The next day one of her teachers e-mailed me and said she'd come into class and said, "Well, I'm NEVER going to be bored again." When her teacher asked her why she very excitedly said, "because my Mom is having twins!" It may take some time for your son to get used to the idea, so just tell him but don't push for him to accept it and get excited right away. It's also possible he is being resistant to the idea now because he can tell something is going on.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• No offense - but who's running the show?

So what if he doesn't like the idea - for real - you're not going to give the baby BACK, so he's going to have to deal with it.

Get him a "I'm the big brother" shirt, show him the ultrasounds, have him pick out a special blanket/toy for the baby, and call it a day.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Im in the same boat. My 5 year old daughter changes the subject everytime my pregnancy is brought up. She hasnt said she doesnt want me to have a baby or she doesnt want a baby she just doesnt want to talk about it
    jeni0323

Answer by jeni0323 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Hee hee, my kids are begging us for a brother or sister and we delight in telling them "no way!" I think you just start inserting it into the conversation, and maybe put it on a calender so he can help count down the days or months with you. Congratulations!
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Aww...my 5 year old will be a big brother soon too! We bought him a "I'm going to be a big brother" T-shirt and a book. We haven't told him yet...waiting for me to get 4-5 months along. We're also signing him up for a "sibling preparation" class at the hospital that comes along with a tour of the maternity ward and nursery. Check out your hospital to see if they offer one.

Make it a "special occasion"....also, if you have a baby shower be sure to have mini gifts there for him too...always make him feel special so that he doesn't feel left out with the new baby coming. Good luck and Congrats!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009