disrespectful 6 year old

My son is extremely disrespectful to everyone. This started at the beginning of the school year, tappered off a little and is now back in full force. I've done everything from spanking, to cleaning out his room of everything except a bed (he was able to buy 1 toy back from me for each day he was good). I got a call from the teacher this morning and we have a meeting this afternoon due to his behavior. I am a single mother that works full time, so I know that I'm not always there for him. Any advice on how to handle and correct a disrespectful child is appreciated. Thanks again!!

sparker616

Asked by sparker616 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, be a good parent and make this child obey you. I don't understand a rude 6 year old? Come on, gain control now, or he will stomp all over you later. No one likes a wild animal child. Do what you must to make this child obey you. If you have to tie him down, do it. He has to obey you. If he don't and you let him slide by because you are single mom and work full time, then you deserve what you get. I was a single mom, and my kids are great. They knew I was in charge!!!
    Anonymous

• spend more time with him, when you come home from work sit down and do home work with him. Must tell him how hurt you are when he is disrespectful. No more time out in his bedroom, put him at the dinner table and have him write down why he is so angry. To old for spanking. He need to hear that you love him and you want to help. But you will not put up with disrespect.
    Ask your son if there is someone at school bulling him? Could be even a teacher? The only way to find out is to talk and talk and tell him you love him.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Thanks to you both for your help. Hopefully with a little more discipline, interest and love I can get this turned around. I'll keep you updated! Thanks again!!
    sparker616

Answer by sparker616 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree with gammie....i have this same issue and it's important to keep stressing to them how wrong and hurtful it is. They will feel bad and will eventually get it. Good luck!

Maybe he's just spoiled...like my son :-(
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2009