OB still hasn't checked?

I just went for my 38 week appointment this past Monday and my OB still hasn't checked me to see if anything is progressing. The last time he was down there I think I was around 30 weeks or so and it was for the strep test or strip test or whatever it's called. So it's been awhile. Thus far I've been glad that I haven't had an audience, but now I think it's about time to find out if I'm even nearing labor or nothing is going on or what. Is this normal? My last OB checked me every appointment from about 7 1/2 months onward, so that's my only comparison.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is no reason for the checks, they will only tell you if you are dilated or not at that point..what the checks cant tell you is when labor is going to start.
    Being dilated or not is not an indication of anything, you can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many weeks.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My doctor checked me more often with my first baby as well. i would ask next week when you go in. Tell them about any contractions your having (even if they arn't strong or regular) and maybe that you have some discomfort. That was enough to get my 2nd doctor to check me from the 38 week point. I was dilated to a 2 and 80%effaced for 3 weeks before my daughter was born. I know its nice to know where your at, but that really doesn't predict how soon the baby will come. Good luck. you dont have much longer to wait!
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 2:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Dilation and effacement doesn't mean anything. Ladies today are way too comfortable with unnecessary things being done to them routinely!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I was having fairly regular ultrasounds and NSTs with the twins, but my OB didn't do any vaginal exams after the first one very early in the pregnancy. I'm sure she would have if a problem were suspected, but as long as everything seemed normal there was no reason. With my older one I got checked every time I went in - way too much!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I had different providers for all 3 pregnancies. The first two did pelvic exams to check for dialation in the last trimester, the last one I had said she didn't do them unless mom requested because dialation or lack there of doesn't really mean much. I was all set with not having her propecting around up there every week and didn't have a cervical check until I was in active labor.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Eh, I guess I am just tired of being pregnant and would like to know if I'm even getting close yet or not. Every day I wake up hoping today will be the day and every night I go to bed still huge and uncomfortably pregnant! At least if I knew I had dilated some or effaced some or something then I would know this cannot last forever!
    Anonymous

• It'll come when you least expect it =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My OB Dr wouldn't check me either. he said it increases the risk of getting an infection. Only time he checked me was when I started bleeding in my 7th month with my 3rd pregnancy. Other than that, he only checked me when I went into labor.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 3:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2009