Do you think parenting is difficult and why?

I thought raising my kids was easy. All I had to remember was that I WAS IN CHARGE, not them. That I MADE the decisions, not them. I don't understand all this how to discipline stuff, what do I do with this situation, should this be allowed or not, how do I get them to sleep in their own beds.. And this co-sleeping stuff is ridiculous. What is so difficult about knowing that you are the adult and handling these situtions to save us all from a world of terribly raised children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I always feel like I'm questioning my own parenting. Not because I think I'm doing a horrible job or anything, but because I worry if I do something wrong even once, just because I WANT and STRIVE to be a perfect parent for my child. Granted, I know I'm not, trust me, no one is, but I want to be as close as possible. Who doesn't want to do the very best job for their children? And who doesn't struggle knowing if every decision they're making is the best one? There are SO MANY decisions to make and SO MANY opportunities to make mistakes. It takes a lot of responsibility to handle as you are in charge of shaping another human's life. I love it though and it's the best job in the world. That to me, does not mean it's the easiest though, lol! :)
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 2:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Did you want a medal or a chest to pin it on. lol!
    Anonymous

• I'm glad you think it's an easy job,lol For me it's the hardest job I have ever had! The rewards are awesome but getting them takes a lot of work!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 2:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If you're going to brag, at least sign your name.

And sorry - I don't believe you.

Parenting is not all rainbows and unicorns and it's not all black and white. Every good mother that I know has suffered and sobbed and second-guessed herself.

I can't imagine thinking I have parenting in the bag - the very definition of hubris.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• HELL YEAH LMAO!!! it's so much easier when we were playing around and our dolls didn't talk back lol! motherhood was never meant to be easier. i always say pregnancy is hard but it has nothing on motherhood. i think the misconception is fullhouse step by step and allthose shows made things seem easy but it'll never be peaches and cream unless our kids are born 21 years old lol
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009