What are good jobs to look for when........

you haven't worked for 4+ years?
I'm a SAHM with not much experience & I need to find a job. I've applied at a bunch of different places, grocery stores, offices, etc. I keep thinking no one wants to hire me because I haven't worked in so long.

ANY ADVICE WILL BE HELPFUL, THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• You may want to consider working from home. Many home JOBS require some type of previous experience, but most home businesses do not require any specific skillsets, other than passion and a willingness to learn.

Find a rep to contact, check out their websites, ask questions, do your own independent research. Check resources such as www.bbb.org for potential scams. You can find job leads in the Telecommuting Moms folder on the WAHM.com forum. I also have several resources for finding legitimate work from home opportunities in my "Working Mom Entrepreneurs" group here on Cafemom.
    nuwave06

Answer by nuwave06 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Maybe the mall? Retail stores are usually always looking and really don't mind training someone. Good luck! I know how hard it can be, especially with how the economy is going.
    Anonymous

• Are you interested in Merchandising? I always like this because you set your own schedule and worked when you wanted. You are virtually on your own. If so, check out www.narms.com, go to jobs and careers and then do a job search for your area. Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• How about working from home?

MomsGoneGreen

Answer by MomsGoneGreen at 2:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Ask friends who work in small companies and those that work in large corps where there might be more hiring going on. Friends in small comp. can help get you on. When I became single I had done plenty of contract work, but hadn't been an employee for many many years.

My mom helped me get started with American Greetings (now Hallmark) as a supervisor. It almost killed me, but I made some kick butt money. When that contract ended, I had a good friend who helped me get into a small company and that sustained me with a med. income for 3 more years till I married.

My mother in law helped me get into my present job. She didn't make calls or anything, just encouraged me to start a new career in the same field as herself. It worked for me. I think asking friends and family is a good start to getting back into the workforce.

Hope this helps. ;) Keep asking around to everyone you know. Be willing to learn anything!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It may not be you at all because alot of people are getn layed off and there aren't alot of jobs out there. Just keep looking. Retail is nice cause you get a discount.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Have you thought about working from home? There are lots of work from home jobs and businesses. Good luck in your search!
    ~Shay
    Inspiring Mom's to Work at Home
    jewelrylady98

Answer by jewelrylady98 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Right now no one is hiring. I started working from home 3 years ago, so I don't have to worry about losing a job.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 3:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would advise Working from Home. Check out my site for a list of Legit WAH Jobs, some business opps and even some Free Stuff and Coupons to help with your household costs...

http://www.freewebs.com/sabrinambowen/wahjobs.htm

More to come!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree, there is noone hiring out there. I started working from home with DiamondCreek Candles. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.diamondcreekcandles.com/reps/staci1228.php
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009