• In the Spotlight:

Is it really worth it to buy organic/ hormone free foods?

So, I posted a question earlier about the hormones in food leading to the early onset of puberty. I'm wondering if even we buy these more expensive foods, how will it benefit us? If you eat out, eat at a friends, a daycare, family members house... these are usually not organic or hormone free. So does the change in just our household make a big difference or not?

Just want some insight either way. Thanks

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If you mostly eat at home then it would make a difference. I buy as much organic as I can afford and when I can afford it.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It makes a big difference if you eat mostly at home. We do. So the occassional eating out (about once every 2 or 3 months for us) doesn't make as big an impact on us.
    Anonymous

• Most of us don't eat out every single day, so by switching what you serve at home, that would make a huge difference!
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 2:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It makes a big difference to me. All the meat I buy for my house is hormone free, eggs are vegetable fed and cage free and milk is hormone free.

I don't generally eat away from home.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I buy it at the market near us. It is not that expensive and we spend less on groceries now. Processed foods are not cheap and not filling so one has to eat a lot more to stay full. We cut our budget in half when we stopped eating processed and junk foods. Whole foods that are not chemically altered will fill you up and keep you filling that way longer.
    Anonymous

• Yes it does. I will post the same article here that I posted in the previous question:

http://www.streamshealth.com/pb/wp_2cd99cdc/wp_2cd99cdc.html

I know you can't eliminate it completely but since we prepare most of our meals at home (other than the kids school lunches) it does help quite a bit, as does following the other suggestions in this article.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We mostly eat at home and the kids normally take their lunch to school. Some of their friends parents also buy organic and some are actually vegan (I tried going vegan, but I like cheese and milk and even a little bit of meat now and then). When my kids were in daycare for a little while I just packed food for them and the daycare was cool with that. We rarely eat out so what little we consume isn't going to harm us.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We do all organic and it has been worth it. We did an experiment with my child and a friend's child. My child has less harmful chemicals and plastics in his body than our friend's child who is the same age and is what we would consider a typical American consumer. We also don't ever have to worry about recalls because we know where our food comes from and the practices they use to ensure the safety of our food. It is about having peace of mind that the peanutbutter and peanutbutter products my child seems to just inhail was never affected. Same with all the other recalls.
    Anonymous

• Some is, and some isn't. I just bought the book Eat This Not That for the Supermarket. It goes into that topic and points out which hormone free meats to buy, and which one it doesn't matter so much. Which organic fruits to buy, which don't matter so much. Where to get the best fish etc.

My point of view is the less additives in the kiddos food the better.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have known of too many instances of food being sold as organic that wasn't. We plant some of our own veggies and have cattle but I don't waste money buying stuff labeled "organic"
    LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2009