Is a SAHM obligated?

I am watching Divorce Court right now and before every commercial break, they ask a question. I am bored(kids napping), so I figured that I would ask it here. Please no bashing each other.

"Is a Stay At Home Mom obligated to cook and clean?"

ICPclwnLOV

Asked by ICPclwnLOV at 2:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are not obligated to. There were days when I simply wanted a break from cooking & cleaning so I'd just take off with my kids for the day & leave it for another day. With young children your house never really stays clean anyway. Or should I say neat instead. I like a clean house but if it's messy from time to time who cares. Life is way too short!
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i dont think we are obligated to do anything but take care of the children we produced lol but im at home what else am i going to do all day lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would think so.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I feel like she is but I think the husband should still pitchn on household duties when he is home. So yes I think it is her job but not solely her job.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It depends on the agreement she has with her husband. My ex was a SAHD while I worked when our kids were babies, and I still expected to do some of the housework. But I did expect him to stay somewhat on top of it during the day. I can't imagine being home all day and not getting any housework done.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think this will be different in different households. I mean some people can afford maids and such... more power to them (wish I was them!! lol)... if I could afford help I'd take it in a minute :-) When my hubby was only working 1 job and was home by supper I expected some help with the dishes/house... I did most of it, but I had a special needs 5yo, 17 month old and newborn... house wasn't my 1st priority back then! Now that he works 2 jobs and is gone from 6am-11pm (and the kids are older and some are in school) I don't expect him to help in that way and I do it. It has even changed within our own family and marriage and I'm sure expectations vary in all homes.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree with riotgrrl. My SO stays at home with the kids but I still do housework when I get home. I try to see it as if I were staying home. I would still want him to pitch in when he got home and not leave everything to me. It would probably be a different story if my kids were all in school all day. Then I could get more done if I was at home.
    Anonymous

• for the must part but still everyone should pitch in and help. i still dont get everything done. nothing ever gets done. and my hubby expects me to do it ALL aand he shouldnt have to help. i swear sometimes i want to smack him..lol but i love him. it also depends on the agreement between you and your spouse
    melissa197829

Answer by melissa197829 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• She should clean since she is home all day but not obligated. I'm a SAHM and I clean but my husband does most of the cooking.
    LND

Answer by LND at 2:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i dont htink we're obligated but we know a man won't do it either we do it becuase we're home,, and the kids are there to and things have to be clean for them to play. i hate cleaning with a soul passion but i do it but i love cooking! but there's nthing wrong with sitting down andcatching a show. i'm watching divorce court right now too!! but everyone should be doing it kwim
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009