What can I give my 2 1/2 y.o. to do in our tiny kitchen while I'm cooking?

She always wants to be in the same room as me, but I need her at the table out of my way. She usually colors, but I'm looking for other ideas. Something she can do independently.

BethelMum

Asked by BethelMum at 2:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter is one and i bought her a kitchen set for christmas it is in our kitchen and she plays with it while im working in the kitchen
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Give her a spare pan and a spoon and let her "cook" like mommy.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You can also spread some news paper on the table and let her play with Play-Doh. Give her a rolling pin and some cookie cutters and she can "make dessert"! You can get other sorts of art projects too like those markers that you stamp and it make a little dot (they're used for BINGO a lot). You can put some Elmer's Glue on a piece of construction paper and she can glue macaroni or cut up pieces of paper to it. It all depends on how messy you are willing to let her get...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I give them plastic measureing spoons a big bowl and uncooked rice to play with. Sure it makes a mess but I get to cook undisturbed.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• there are fridge games.We have an alphabet deal and it tells you the letter and sings,its entertaining and takes up NO room.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 2:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I can't help if you want her actually at the table, but if she wouldn't be too much in the way in front of the fridge buy her a few of the Leapster fridge toys. My son has the Fridge Phonics that teaches the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they make and he also has a Barnyard Animals one where you match the animals together or mix-match them and learn the noises they make and such. He plays with them while I'm in the kitchen cooking sometimes and though I'll have to ask him to move now and then to get things out of the fridge it's better than having him hovering around my legs when I'm standing in front of the stove or chopping something over the sink.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 2:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I gave mine a wooden spoon and a pan. However, she usually like to pull out everything from the cabinets anyway!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Give her some kitchen stuff for her to imitate you with. I give mine a little piece of dough, some measuring cups, a little rolling pin, a bowl--they love to cook with mommy. I also let them stir what I am cooking, and let them dump the measured ingredients into the bowl. If you do this, soon she will be doing some of the cooking for you. It's worth the extra time.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 1:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2009