I have a 3 month old son who is super hungry all the time. I've had so many people tell me to start giving him a small amount of rice cereal to his formula. My doctor said to wait until at least 4 months but everybody tells me just to try it.Any thoughts?

sunshine3182001

Asked by sunshine3182001 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd give more formula, and avoid the cereal. They need lots of fat per calorie at this age, and that's what the formula's designed for. It's probably a growth spurt at 3 months. My baby went through this too. I'd try to tough it out and you should see your baby won't be as ravenous soon.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i know what the doctors said but if he is hungry give him some cereal! just a little to begin with so he doesn't get constipated but enough to fill his belly up. too much formula is not good and if he is hungry his little belly weill hurt. my daughters but 6 months were on some soft table foods and were much happier babies. good luck !
    chicknlitlle69

Answer by chicknlitlle69 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• But Chicknlitlle69,at 6 months solids are fine. 3 months is early. These growth spurts are normal and it's normal to up the breastmilk or formula feedings at that time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• All of the latest research suggests it is really best to wait until 6 months before adding cereal. If baby is still hungry at this age then you need to give more formula.
    If rice cereal is added to infant formula, it increases energy density by adding mostly carbohydrate, with very little protein, vitamins or minerals (other than iron); this becomes a problem if the infant is not taking in enough formula to meet these nutrient needs.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Listen to the moms and most importantly your doctor who says to wait. Growth spurts are normal and they eat more when they are growing.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Your doctor is right on...Just do more formula, and don't do the cereal yet. Solids too early can cause adulthood problems.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Cereal has less calories and nutrients in it than formula, so if you give him cereal, it will displace the amount of formula that he takes in, and in fact he will consume LESS calories. The reason people think that the cereal works is because it takes more time to digest than the milk, so his stomach will be "full," but he will have consumed less calories and nutrients. Imagine his stomach is a measuring cup, that can only fit in a certain volume of stuff. Say you fill it to the top with 1 cup of formula that is 100 calories (these numbers are just chosen for the example). Now, say that you add cereal, that is worth 50 calories per cup. To add the cereal to the measuring cup, you need to displace some of the formula, right? Pretend you take 1/4 cup of formula out and replace it with cereal. You've just taken out 25 calories and replaced it with 12.5 calories. Not a fair trade. Solid food is meant to supplement, not replace it.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• At 6 weeks my boys each started taking 8oz every 2-3 hours. And that continued until they started table foods just after they turned 6 months.

Just give him more formula.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I did the cereal my son is 3 months too, now it fills him up but he's still ready to eat every 3 hours but he's happier. it won't hurt him, just try small amounts and little by little add more until he's ready to eat out of a spoon.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I wouln't give cereal until 6 months. It isn't neccessary. I don't know how much your little one is eating, but at 3 months eating between 8 -12 times a day is normal. I know it can seem like a lot but they have very little tummies.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009