Saftey Question

My son has a 2nd degree burn on his hand. He got it a week ago and it still looks really gross. My question is, we were thinking of taking him swimming to the indoor heated pool, (we are tired of being stuck inside b/c of the snow!!) But would it be bad to have his hand in the chlorine, and the possibility of kids peeing in the water. We have been keeping it wrapped. Is this a good a bad idea. Any thoughts?

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 3:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is the skin bubbled, peeling, or oozing (clear fluid)? Or has it the burn "healed over" so that it is no longer "open?"

If the burn area is now closed/healed over--then it would be fine to be in chlorinated water--chlorine contains bleach, which is actually good and cleaning and drying up wounds. Don't worry about kids peeing in the pool--that's what the chlorine is for!

Just be watchful that he doesn't "prune up" too much, and be careful drying his hand after swimming--skin is very soft and pliable after it gets soaked, and the healed over portion of his hand could re-open. You might want to wrap his hand in a sterile gauze bandage AFTER swimming to prevent the wound from reopening and possibly becoming infected.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i think it is a bad idea. you'd think it would burn his burn... I would not take my kids to a public pool with an open sore. i work at a hospital, theres all kinds of stuff growing in those pools
    casd

Answer by casd at 3:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Forgot to add...if the wound has NOT healed over thoroughly, then I do NOT recommend going swimming. Wait another week or two, until it has healed over before risking any infection.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If the burn has healed and it looking better then it would be okay. If it has not then I would wait. Chlorine and whirl pools are used to debris open wounds especially burns but they need to be healed first. I wish you luck and hope that he gets better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If it still needs bandaging, I'd say it should not be exposed to the pool.

Answer by Bmat at 3:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009