Does 6 month old still need a night feeding?

My 6 month old eats a bowl of rice cereal before bed at 7:30, goes to bed at 8 and gets up at 2 ish for a cereal bottle, then eats again when he gets up at 7. Does he need that 2:00 feeding - he acts so hungry.

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 3:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son didn't wake up for a feeding from 3 months on
    Anonymous

• I would say yes, if he's hungry it won't hurt to feed him. He is still a young baby and his stomach is still very small.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 3:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Many many babies wake up in the middle of the night up to 2 years old. What one child does may not be what your child does. If he is waking up for it, I think he needs it. IMO
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My pediatrician always said that at 6 months they're fully capable of fasting 10-12 hours, but you have to convince them of that. I'm still working on it with my 6 mo. Like us, babies get used to eating at certain times... it doesn't mean they need to eat then, but they get hungry by habit (like how I can't go without a snack around 9pm). If they don't get that feeding anymore they make up for it during the day. Breaking them of it is tricky though... you have to be strong for a few days. I'm still not there yet, but I've managed to push it back to around 4:30am.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• JMO, anytime before a year old it is acceptable to get up at night to eat.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Keep in mind that the cereal you're giving him doesn't have as many calories as just plain formula or breastmilk. So after it digests, he's going to be more hungry.....

If he's waking and taking a full feeding, he still needs it. Not all 6 month old babies are capable of or ready to sleep through the night yet.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• just feed him when hes hungry but lay off giving him so much rice...its just empty calories that are constipating.....
    Anonymous