I have sleeping problems, and taking a sleeping pill is not a option because my 7 month old gets up a lot at night...so does anyone have any homeremedy's that might help? Or herbal remedy's?

Armymom134

Asked by Armymom134 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• smoke a joint, you'll be ALL set! :)
    Anonymous

• Try SleepyTime tea. You can find it in your local grocery store in the tea & coffee aisle. It's herbal so no chemicals that will zonk you out. Just helps you sleep. I love that stuff!
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I use melatonin. They come in a variety of doses. You just have to experiment and see what dosage will work for you. I have even used benadryl before to help. You might want to give Sleepy Time Tea a try as well. I have suffered sleeping problems in my past and have tried a variety of things. Just find something that will work for you. I hope you get some sleep soon momma we all need it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Eliminate all caffeine. That includes coffee, tea, soda, chocolate. And at first you may also want to cut out decaf versions since decaf also has some caffeine. It will take around a month to get it all out of your system. After this, I'd recommend relaxation exercises. One that works well when you are trying to sleep is progressive relaxation. You'll be starting at your toes and relaxing every part of your body little bit by little bit. Here is a brief description. Relax your toes, relax the soles of your feet. relax the tops of your feet, relax the front of your lower leg, the back of your lower leg, your knees, and so forth, all the way up. Concentrate on keeping everything relaxed. Before and while you are doing this. breathe slowly. With each breath exhale tension. Feel yourself sink into your mattress. If your mind wanders, bring it back to concentrating on relaxing each part of your body and your whole body.

Answer by Bmat at 3:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Valerien root is what I use when I can't sleep. I have two kids,.one is 7, but has night frights,. and the other is 1 and cutting 7 teeth,. so neither are guaranteed good sleepers. I work nights and have a hard time falling asleep, so I use it somewhat regularly. Before you take an herbal. medication though., talk to your doctor because a lot of herbs cannot be taken in conjuction with other herbs or medications. Sleepytime tea is great too, without sugar, but with lemon and honey.!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I use chamomile tea which is a great naturally relaxing herb. Sometimes I'll add a few drops of Valerian tincture, but if you're nursing I'm not sure you'd want to do that.

Avoid using the computer or watching t.v. for at least an hour before you go to sleep...instead do something relaxing like light reading, listening to relaxing music, stretching, or taking a warm bath or shower.

Avoid caffeine or eating anything heavy (or spicy) for at least a few hours before bedtime. However foods high in tryptophan (which help you sleep) can be eaten in moderation before bed. This includes bananas, turkey, yogurt, almonds and figs. I hope this helps a little. :)

Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 4:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You are wise to avoid swallowing something that will conk you out ( I am reminded of that recent story of a little girl removed from a bed beside an adult who was sleeping off some partying - yeah, there are lots of reasons for people to grow up when they become parents and leave that childish stuff behind !)

Do you have trouble falling TO sleep? ... or with waking up about 2am ? ... or 4am? ... Each of these is a result of a different deprivation during your daily routine. The solutions are as simple as more interaction with nature, less TV, etc. - falling asleep, after all, is not merely a physical process !
    Check out the book by Audrey McAllen, Sleep: an Unobserved Element in Education for amazing insights into sleep, and great detailed info for parenting, too !
    Sweet Dreams !

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I take Calcium and Magnesium (together). It's a natural sleep aid. AOL had a lot of natural sleep remedies recently and I happened to have those two in the house so used them .They work great and no grogginess.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009