My son has diareah and he is reufsing to take his pedialite.. i dont want to bring him in yet cuz he has only had it for 1 day and also i think it is from his 2 yr molars.. i tried the BRAT diet , but he is REFUSING to eat.. anything i can do for him?

He is 2..

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Aw poor little guy. Doesn't he like the flavor? Have you tried diluting it with some water and serving it over ice? With a straw? How about making some jello and mixing in some pedialyte in place of a little of the water? You want to keep fluids going in, and pedialyte has electrolytes such as salt that are removed by diarrhea. Some regular ginger ale may help get liquids in. How about some warm broth?

Answer by Bmat at 4:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Stick to water and starches/carbs. Let him have what he wants when he wants it. The sugar in pedialyte makes diarrhea worse.

Breads, crackers, pasta, rice, bananas, potatoes, let him have anything and all he wants or can tolerate....just avoid anything fatty, fruity or vegetables, anything that normally MAKES someone poop.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i did this with my dd who is 17 mo about a day ago. she wouldnt drin kthe pedialyte b/c it was so sweet but she would drink water so I gave her tons of water and cheerios. Shes finally better so I woul djust keep doing what you are doing. She would also take SOME pedialyte if I held her cup for her..(which she never lets me do) so just keep giving him lots of tlc.. Good luck!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Pedialyte is known to taste nasty so I'm not surprised he refuses to drink it. My 2 year old won't drink it either. The only way I've been able to get him to drink that stuff is by chillng it and then mixing it with apple juice or something else. If that fails, you could also try the Pdedialyte ice popsicles.

As far as the water goes, I would ask your pediatrician about this first just to make sure it's ok for him to be drinking water. Something about the electrolytes being lost in water and certain drinks.
    Anonymous

• popsicles or there's otc Florastor Kids which you can mix with water or juice and have him that that. It should help with the diahrrea. IF he won't drink much, just do a shot glass size amount of water and the powder so at least that can start helping his tummy.
    Anonymous

• Jello made with pedialyte instead of water is what I used for my son. It tastes pretty much the same as regular jello, he never noticed the difference.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009