What can i do for my 3yr olds severe constipation problem?

My 3 year old has had severe constipation since she was born and its getting worse she is seeing a doctor but we have gotten no where i have tried everything i can think of i was just wondering if any one had any suggestions thanks.

momof2girls757

Asked by momof2girls757 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son had really bad constipation. His brother and I had recently been diagnosed with celiac disease, so, even though I didn't think constipation was a sign of that I had his blood tested. Turns out he was sensitive to gluten! When he went on a gluten-free diet he got MUCH better!
    He still has some problems sometimes, and the best thing I have found is magnesium. Look for "Natural Calm" magnesium supplements. They actually make "Baby Calm" and "Kids Calm".
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Some kids have a low tolerance for dairy and it can constipate them (not lactose intolerance or an allergy, but just a lower tolerance than normal) maybe cut back on the dairy?

Try the high fiber fruits/juices like apple, grape, and plum

Have you tried rectal stimulation? You have to be careful (and ask your doc) but sometimes by stimulating the rectum on a daily basis (which causes the bowels to move) you can re-train your daughters bowels to move at least once a day. This can be done with your pinky or a rectal thermometer.

Does it bother her? Some kids just don't poop as often as others and thats normal for them. If she doesn't have a hard time when she does poop and it doesn't bother her between poops, then maybe thats just her normal functioning?
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• you can put a little karo syrup in his milk...it helps to soften stool...maybe a tablespoon but no more
    Micahbabysmommy

Answer by Micahbabysmommy at 8:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Give her lots of fruits and juices no bannanas. Apples is good and a little prune juice. Yogurt and OJ.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 2:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• **if you get karo syrup it needs to be the dark kind!!! i would also call the dr because constipation is a symptom not a diagnosis... thats what the dr always tells me lol.. my daughter has been to the er several times because of constipation.. now shes on mirilax.. so it might be an allergy, blockage, or just not enough water in the diet..
    Anonymous