What's up with World of Warcraft?

I have an 18 year old who appears? to be addicted? to WOW? I feel old saying this, but I just don't understand!!! ???? What is the DEAL with this game? What is so great about it ? He has straight A's, otherwise I wouldn't even let him near it! But what gives?

4kidsandadog

Asked by 4kidsandadog at 4:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• i'm 22 and i played the game when i was in high school. i was absolutely addicted. I would play for at least 6 hours after school and wouldn't even realize it. Not sure why i got so dragged in. It is a really fun game. But when i went to college i left it at home because i was afraid that i wouldn't study. i actually meet some people on campus that had problems dividing their time wisely. But you said your son gets straight A's. i wouldnt worry about it. Unless you feel that the game is causing him to withdraw more than usual or his grades slip!
    dreamy_snowball

Answer by dreamy_snowball at 7:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It's just a game, yes it can be addicting.I play it occassionally with my husband. You have to be interested in that type of game to understand why people like it, if you don't like those games you will not understand the draw of it. I would only be worried if it were causing a problem in real life.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 4:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It's so addictive that they will probably start some 12 step program for it! I don't get it myself. I heard that military folks deployed are not allowed to play it. I don't know if that is true but I can see where it could be distracting.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My son has played this game off and on .... He went through a depression and it did become a type of addiction because it is a virtual world where they don't have to address any problems in their own lives. But as he has gotten better and there is more to his "real" life ... his tendency to spend so much time playing this has lessened. Maybe the answer would be to try to get your child involved in other activities outside of computer games. Unless there is some depression going on and if there is ... get help there first
    JMT6419

Answer by JMT6419 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My son is addicted to it and started making bad grades, staying up for days with no sleep, not doing his homework and failed college! He is 20 and we can't do anything with him! I made him go to countsling with me and he got smart with the doctor and won't go back! With all this tech at home it is making a society of unsocial people that will have a hard time in life and cause more suicides and depression, this is your next generation. Of course the government wants that so they can prepare them for socializem in the future and keep people home by 9:00 curfew! Uses less gas, less car wrecks and keeps the crowds down and off the street. Alot of jobs will be from computors at home. In the army they sit there all day and push buttons to fire live missels and bombs "they say it is like a game on xbox or something and is fun." When you see other countrys on TV r go there, Do u c alot of cars on the road? NO! I don't know what to do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My boyfriend and his brothers love that game lol. I think its funny... Like when they talk its their own language. But there not addicted...yet.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 11:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Its lame, my fiancee plays and he used to be addicted, he had to set limits for himself because he failed a couple of classes one semester.
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2009