When someone says they are "Just curious" or "Just wondering..."

When someone says they are "just curious" or "just wondered" about what someone did or said what do they mean?

They are just curious why your house is yellow.
They "just wondered" how you came to the decision to name your kid Evel Knievel?
I'm just curious where you got that scarf/tie/ponytail holder, etc. etc.

What do you think they are really saying? Is this a way of saying, "I'm going to offend you now but I want to pretend I am a good person and I am doing it nicely?" Or "I have an opinion and I want to lead you to it but I am not going to come right out and admit I have an opinion?"

WHAT does this mean?!! Just curious. Just wondering....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it means they are just curious or just wondering.
    Anonymous

• You tell us since you just asked it! What do YOU mean by that?
    Anonymous

• Ha, funny ending. Honestly, when I say it is truly because I am curious and I can't figure out on my own what the answer might be. It's not that I am making a judgement about it one way or the other. If I were doing that, I would either pay a compliment or say nothing.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think it is a way to hide what they really think. They hate your house color and want to mock you. They hate your kids name... Evel? C'mon! They think your fake Hermes is ugly and they want to know where you got it so they can avoid shopping there. This is what I think.
    Anonymous

• confusedJust curious: you want to know but not sure so I will ask anyway. Just wondering : I have to ask you this so that way you can tell me exactly what you mean or it is. I guess...

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• when i say it, it usually means i REALLY want it, and now i have to get details from you to know where you got it!!

if they asked why your house is yellow and then just said "just curious!" i would then think its because they seriously question your crazy-mind of why you actually painted your house YELLOW lol.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Maybe they really are just curious. If I knew someone who pained their house yellow, I might want to know why. Maybe they had a really cool reason. Just because I wouldn't personally paint my house yellow doesn't mean I care if someone else does.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Sometimes they say it to honestly point out that they don't mean it as a rude question, and then sometimes they say it to pretend they don't mean it as a rude question!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• 'Sometimes they say it to honestly point out that they don't mean it as a rude question, and then sometimes they say it to pretend they don't mean it as a rude question!' The best answer so far!
    Anonymous

• I do it so I don't get bashed by the OP or anyone else. Sometimes I'm mean and sometimes I'm not. It has nothing to do w/ the just curious part. I just don't want people being hateful b/c I asked a question.
    Faye-Tula

Answer by Faye-Tula at 4:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009