No offense?

Ok spin off of another question. When a person says "No offense but..." and then follow up with something really offensive, do they think saying no offense first puts them in the clear? Do you get offended if someone says this to you then says something rude? Or do you think saying no offense first lets you say what you want?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's a magical phrase that completely absolves a rude person from feeling guilty about hurting a person's feelings ... "What?! I SAID 'no offense'!"
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• No offense, just wondering and just curious = all the same!
    Anonymous

• i'm just nosey
    Anonymous

• I think when a person says "no offense" it just means they know they are about to offend you!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It totally depends on what is said after "no offense..." I think there are definitely times when my response would be "none taken" =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The word "but" is a red light in any sentence. Maybe I would ask.. well if you aren't planning on offending me, what is your intent !
    Anonymous

• I say "no offense" when I know what I am going to say may offend that person, but its usually happens because I can not come up with another way to say it being nicer.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think they say it because they don't want to hurt your feelings by saying something bad. I do it, like for example if someone is asking a question about a diet and they tell me their eating all this crap I'll say "no, offense, but you shouldn't be eating that kind of stuff." I say it because I'm really not trying to offend the person and I just want to give them my advice.
    Anonymous

• when pple say "no offense" i usually prepare myself for the worst. it really depends how they say it, like if they say "no offense but that lady's blonde hair is so FAKE" and i happen to have blonde hair myself, i wont take offense because they are talking about someone else's HAIR.

if someone said "no offense but that girl looks to white trash!" well i would pretty much take offense because im not sure what makes that girl white trash and you never know if i grew up that way or was that way.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• They may be saying that the reason they are saying what follows is not with the intention of causing offense, but that they fear that it might. When they say "no offense but" they may be saying "I don't like to say this because it may offend you, but..."

Answer by Bmat at 5:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009