How do I know when to potty train?

My son is almost two, doesn't speak a word (atleast that I can understand), and doesn't tell me when he needs a diaper change. When and how am I supposed to potty train him? I'm also two months from having a little girl and think it would be wonderful if he was already potty trained when she is born but don't see it happening. Please help, I could use good advise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't see it happening, either. Sorry, lol... Someone asked this question not too long ago and I made a note of it because the answers made a lot of sense to me. Here's the link: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/141068/How_do_you_know_your_child_is_ready_to_potty_train
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I was in ur shoes not all that long ago. My DD turned 2 two weeks after my son was born. I thought to myself also "oh it would be great if she was potty trained by the time he got here" um...no. and she spoke quite a bit at that time. I did try when she was 2, showed her the little potty and what not. she just had NO interest. then I tried again @ 2.5, tried w/ the treats again and everything. then one day, when she was 2 yrs 8 months, she said "mommy I want 2 go on the big girl potty". turned out she didn't like the 'little potty' @ all, and just was on the big girl potty. we really had NO accidents after that point. during her naps and night time i would put her in a pull up. she just recently got out of the pull ups all together and she turned 3 in December. I say wait until he gives u some cues...then u dont have to struggle so much!!
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 4:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Telling you when they need a diaper change is a sign of being almost ready. My son wasn't ready until he was telling me when he was going. Boys often aren't ready until closer to three though. So it's not that likely you'll have him trained. Sorry! My son will be 21 months when the baby is born. I'll probably have two in diapers for like a year.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have a 6 year old stepdaughter, a two year old girl, and a 5 month old girl. Your situation sounds VERY familiar. My friend has a 2yrold son, and she says that its VERY hard to potty train him, or even get to him to try to. people tell me that im "so lucky" to have a girl to potty train, but yes girls can be easier when it comes to this, but it still takes time. try pull ups, or little treats/gifts if he uses the potty, it will make him want to try more (even if he doesnt fully go to the bathroom). Maybe try when he's 3, even though you want him to be pottytrained when the new baby comes (by the way, CONGRATS!), which i hoped too, he most likely wont be ready too, give him time, eventually he will be.
    lovelymommy2009

Answer by lovelymommy2009 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think you can do it if you want to. People used to potty train kids by age 2 "ready" or not. My daughter had some but not all of the readiness signs and she trained just fine at 19 months. Take a look at the "3-day method" discussed at length in the CafeMom forum "potty training moms." Look for a post about this by Andrewsmom. There are a lot of moms doing this method so lots of support available.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009