How do you deal with in-laws?

I have three brothers - no sisters. Two brothers are married. We try to get together once a month to celebrate birthdays. Since it was my idea, (we just started this last year) I have been "organizing" the events. One of my sister-in-laws is very difficult to get along with. I know it's hard to find a date when all of us can get together but this SIL almost makes it impossible to please her. I don't know if she wants to be "in control" or not. Does anyone else have trouble getting along with their in-laws?

KellyRene829

Asked by KellyRene829 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Not sure about the inlaw part of this.. but I would set a date and say "hope you can come".. I wouldn't plan around one difficult person.
    Or pick two dates and see when the majority can get together. You are trying to make this a nice family situation. She either comes or she doesn't.. No worries.
    Anonymous

• Does she have a very busy schedule? Does she come from a family that doesn't really care too much about birthdays? We don't do much for birthdays in my extended family (you're lucky if you get a phone call, and that's pretty much fine by everyone), so a monthly get-together for birthday celebration (heck, for any reason) would seem like a lot to me. We get together maybe twice a year. Not saying you're wrong for wanting to do that - I think it's wonderful that your family is so close. But it might just be a really, really foreign concept to her, and she may be used to prioritizing her time in a very different way. Just throwing that out there. I could be way off base.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree with anon's suggestion. :-)
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I've been lucky enough to have good in-laws. Were actually pretty close (yes, really). i have 6 younger siblings, and we usually get together when we can (the one closest to my age is 24, and the youngest is 15) so its a little different than your situation, but try to get along with your inlaws, there gonna be around forever, so its good to make peace. But she should try to also, talk to your family about it, maybe they can help
    lovelymommy2009

Answer by lovelymommy2009 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009