Spoiled?

My DS is 5 months and I have to hold him all day or he screams. He is not sick but he is getting a tooth now so I know he hurts right now but he has been this way since day1. I do everything with him and he is just getting to heavy for me to do a whole lot with him in his carrier plus he is grabbing everything. Do you think if I have met all his needs and he's not in pain that it is ok to let him cry a little while I do some things around the house and just check on him frequently? I know that sometimes he won't cry until he sees me and then he will immediately stop when I pick him up but it is just not possible for him to be held all day long, there are things that need to be done in order to have a healthy environment for him to live in.

ZachsAngel

Asked by ZachsAngel at 4:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes... I would let him cry... But remember to talk to him while you do what you need to do so he knows your there.... When your done/take a breakl and cuddle... repeat.... He will get better!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 4:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would let him cry. But not leave him unattended while crying. Babies that young don't really understand that someone or something is still there when they can't see it. So it would be good to let him know all the time that you're still around, he just isn't going to be held all the time.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My second DD did the same thing. I brought her home from hospital and from the day I brought her home she was crying all day long wanted nothing but held. I remember a nurse at the hospital telling me she was the only girl in the nursary and that she was so cute and that everyone wanted to hold her. So I belive she got spoiled in the hospital I know people say that can't get spoiled that young, but I honestly think they can. What I did because I had to get the house clean I had another DD I had to attend to and everything I mean I couldn't even get dressed without putting her down and her scream so I honestly let her cry for a few until I was done doing things. I didn't let her scream real hard or anything, but it is ok to let them cry it is good for there lungs. But if you can't stand the crying anymore I done this to so I could get things done. I put one of those slings around me and put the baby in it try that
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Just I wouldn't do it all the time or the baby will expect it all the time. Good luck
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• he's going thru a seperation anxiety moment.. and yes its ok to let him fuss.. do you leave him on the floor with toys? I do this with my son ,and he loves his alone time.. as long as he knows im near by... at 5 months, he had to see me, now at almost 8 months, he just needs to know im around.. lol babies are very funny people..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes I do put him on the floor with toys but he cries after a few mins. and I'm always where he can see me unless he is in his playpen but then I walk in there every couple mins and rub his back or tummy and tell him I love him. It's just so hard for me not to just pick him up at every little noise he makes. It is something I have to get over I guess. It's not like I'm not making sure he's ok so I shouldn't feel like I'm neglecting him, Right?
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 12:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You might want to look in to a sling, they're great for getting stuff done around the house and your lo can be snuggled right up against you, often with lots of motion they drop off to sleep. Studies have suggested that children carried in slings actually cry less as they get older, I loved mine but my little fat guy hit 22 pounds this month and the sling puts too much stress on my back now.
    It's hard to get things done around the house when they're crying, I find myself rushing around to get back to him.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 8:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have a sling but he is too heavy for me. I have a lot of back pain from the epidural and it just kills me. Yesterday I sat him in his bumbo seat on the floor while I did the dishes and I almost got them all done before he started crying. I tried to finish but he breaks my heart. I am just gonna have to learn to let him cry a little when I know he's just being spoiled.
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 11:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2009