What do you do when you feel like you are losing your patience?

ugh, I had a bad moment earlier with my school aged son..and I did yell about his school work, I feel like I overreacted and ugh I feel awful for having yelled. What do you do to prevent loosing your patience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I breathe before I react. I mentally step back and disengage myself from the situation. Then it is easier to view the person with love and compassion, and the frustration loses some of it's punch.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You should walk away and really consider the situation and what your going to say. Then once you have calmly figured out what you should do go ahead. It will be more beneficial for you to talk to your son in a calm manner. If you start yelling outrageously your son will get just as bad and probably not listen to what you said.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• take a zoloft lol
    Anonymous

• I sing a song. LOUDLY!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 5:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I send him to his room and tell him that when I am calm enough to discuss it I will let him know. Then I will listen to a song that mellows me out or I will step outside if it is warm.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I actually tell the kids I'm about to lose my patience and to give me a little bit, that I need to calm myself.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I breathe and take a mommy time-out in my room or the bathroom and let my son know that I'm frustrated and I'll be back.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I walk outside on my porch and chill a minute.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009