How do I get my son who WAS potty trained to stop pooing in his underwear? I just had a baby 3 months ago and up until then, he was potty trained, but now he's reverted back. :( HELP!

Potty training help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's doing it for attention and because he feels threatened. Take him out and do things with him by himself.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he wants your attention back. He sees you paying attention to the baby when they have a dirty diaper, so maybe in his mind he thinks that's how he gets attention. Try really spending some time with just him and reward him for good behavior.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 5:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• He is NOT doing it for attention!!!!
    My DD was 2 1/2 when we had our second, and she had been fully out of diapers for over a year.. She did not revert back to pooping her pants, but she did occasionally pee them.
    It wasn't an attention thing, it was just forgetting.. The house was busy, mommy was too busy to help her every time she needed to go.. She was holding it because she didn't want to miss something... And just overall - it's a perfectly natural and normal stage. It is not something which should be punished, and there is nothing "wrong" with your child. When things settle down, he will go back to his normal habits..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Liyoness---miss almighty. It is for attention....have you ever taken a psychology class? She just had a baby and this all the sudden started. This is a psychological thing, not "forgetting"
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have taken psychology classes.
    I have also taken early childhood education.
    Of course it just started since having the baby - mom and dad have been busy.. Arms are always full.. He's excited to have a new sibling..
    It isn't something children do out of revenge and malice. It isn't a "look at me, look at me!!!" thing. It is a temporary regression due to stress in the home.. And a new baby IS a stress..
    My 2 year old does a lot of things for attention, peeing her pants is not one of them.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• my daughter does the same thing but with peeing n no matter how much u try n give atention,its hard n un realistic..i agree wit lyoness
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 7:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• 2 1/2 and over diapers for over a year? I find that hard to believe.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for your input....but there's no need to be cruel to each other. Please let's be tactful even if you disagree with someone. Angry words do not bring peace to any situation. We all have different advice, different takes on what we think and it's just nice to get input from different people. With some kids, it can be for attention I believe and with others it can be just because they are forgetful..... who knows really, its just nice to hear others experiences too. I asked for answers about how to fix the problem or help my son, not read bitchy comments to/from other mothers. No offense, but please refrain from being that way.
    ValHayes

Answer by ValHayes at 11:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Find it hard to believe all you want- she was completely out of diapers- day, night, sleep, awake, at home and out before 18 months.
    Care to come by my house this summer as I'll be potty learning with my will-then-be 9 month old?? She'll be out of diapers even sooner.
    I'll teach you how to read your child's signs and learn the pee dance.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You go girl! Tha'ts amazing that you are such an incredible mother like that. We could all learn from you!
    ValHayes

Answer by ValHayes at 1:37 AM on Mar. 6, 2009