How may naps / day should a 6 month old have?

My baby gets up at 7.0 am and tends to take 2 - 3 naps a day, they vary in length. When should we eliminate the third evening nap? We try to put her to bed at 8.30 - 9.0, she wakes up once ( around 2.0 pm) or twice ( early morning - 5 - 6 am) a night for feeding? When would be the last feeding and also last nap recommended without causing he r to wake up more at night?

katy1980

Asked by katy1980 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was a nanny and i would say 1 hr morning nap like at 9sish , till 10, then a 2hr nap, 1-3 every day, they need about 3-4 hrs of GOOD NAPPING a day in theire crib, not swing ect ect, be home for nap times, its important for you and them=) good luck
    Anonymous

• my son is up at 6am, but i dont get him til 630 am, first bottle is at 7am, nap at 9, sleeps til 11, then breakfast, at 1pm he takes a nap til 330, there abouts, then 7pm bedtime.. he sleeps all night, he doesnt need a midnight bottle, and I stopped giving him one at 2 months.. after about 3-4 months, the night time bottle is out of habit.. sometimes if he doesnt get a lot of sleep... he takes a 3rd nap, but its the amount of sleep, not the sleeps that count.. so if baby is getting 15 hours total, thats great.. you could probably get rid of the evening nap... good luck, if you have any questions, message me
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I must have the odd ball out of everyone's babies! My baby is six months old (EBF) and he wakes up around 7:30AM, try as I might (and I put him in his crib) he will NOT take a morning nap (he sits and talks and coo's and rolls around) he then will take a nap from about 1:30 to 3:30-4:00PM and then he is up with us till around 9 or 10:00PM he eats and then he sleeps till about 3:30, eats again for about 20 mins and then he sleeps in till 7:30. This works for us, as long as he is a happy boy.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• every baby is different, but my son usually went to bed around 8pm and slept till about 8am and took two naps a day. if you eliminate a nap the baby will be cranky for the first couple of days just cuz they're tired but it will be worth it in the end if it means he or she will be tired enough to sleep through the night. i usually give owyn his last bottle right befor bed too, its part of our routine and it helps him to relax a little befor actually having to go to sleep.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I put DD down for bed when she's sleepy :~) I never followed a strict schedule and I still don't. She does go to sleep at pretty much the same times every day. She made her own schedule, basically. I watched for sleepy cues, then put her to sleep. I never made my DD transition her naps either. She cut them out, and gradually stayed awake for longer pediods of time on her own.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009