My ultrasound showed a sac with no embryo in it, is this bad?

I found out on February 12th that I am pregnant. I just had a miscarriage 5 months ago and it was devastating. I went for my 8 week ultrasound this morning and it showed the gestational sac which looks good according to the doctor but no embryo. Could it be that I am not that far along and they just don't see it yet? I am upset and not sure what to think. Any suggestions?

stressedout366

Asked by stressedout366 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did you not ask the Dr. what it meant? I would ask her/him,if it was'nt ok then they would have told you.did they give you an appt to come back? Sorry about your MC ,and I hope everything goes well for you.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• No, unfortunately. It is called a anembroyonic pregnancy...it's when a fertilized egg does not grow properly. You will probably have to have a D&C. At 8 weeks with a transvaginal ultrasound you will be able to see a baby
    Anonymous

• Is it possible you aren't as far along as you think? At 8 weeks when I had my ultrasound you could see the little arm buds and everything so I would think if you were 8 weeks that you could see the baby. I'm sorry hun.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I'm wondering WHY the doctor didnt explain this to you, at 8 weeks you should see a baby... so unless you arent as far along, then it's not good..... I'm sorry
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Ash-maybe she saw an tech...ultrasound tech's cannot give advice or diagnosis. If it was done in a lab, it was not a doctor more than likely. The tech passes the images to the doc, who tells her the news
    Anonymous

• That's true.... but still, you would think the doc would come speak to her. Maybe that didn't work out in his schedule. Grr
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It means there is no baby in there, your egg didn't get fertilized, so don't think your baby died or anything like that, there is no baby. I felt bad one time for my friend who had this happen and after the doctor told her everything she was ok because she no longer felt like her baby died. WOW I hope I'm not sounding dumb or hurting your feelings. But put it this way your not pregnant, they just need to clean some stuff out. It will happen, just don't stress, stress is what causes women to not get pregnant and to lose babies. Good luck for next time though. It will happen some day, be patient!
    Anonymous

• First off hun I would change doctors. It was very unprofessional of them not to have the doctor come in immediately and explain this to you. If there is nothing in the sac then I'm sorry you are not pregnant. You might have had a very early on miscarriage or you might not have been fertilized in the first place but even at a few weeks there would be something in the sac so even if you aren't as far along as you think you are...that doesn't change that the sac is empty and you aren't pregnant. I'm so very sorry I know it must be very upsetting and hard on you but keep your head up your time will come. GL!
    Anonymous

• You probably just arent as far along as you think. Did you have blood work to check your beta hcg?
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 6:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• When I have an ultrasound, its at the hospital. its not even in the same office as my doctor. and noone ever comes in and talks to me afterwards. i always have to wait a day or two to see the doctor
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 6:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009