Emotional Affair?

Were/what is the line that can not be crossed? In the Internet age, a man and a woman keeping in touch. We live thousands of miles apart so it will never end up as more than letters to each other. What can you discuss with another man that will not be seen as betraying your husband? Or, when should I tell him " you crossed the line". DH knows that I keep in touch with friends from my hometown, and that they are not all woman.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• As soon as you take it from on-line to off- line and have emotional feelings..........
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The only male friends I keep in touch with are gay. I have no reason to keep in touch with old boyfriends.
    Anonymous

• crossing they line can sometimes not be noticed. like when he or she or you rely on each other for emotional support. or when you go to them with your problems that you have with yourself or your partner. that should not happen at all. something like that you should be talking to your partner about. when you talk to them to much. when you start having feelings for them thats more the friends kind of thing. when you start talking sexually to each other. My husband, got to the point in a online friendship where he talked to her for 6-12 hours a day, and would tell her our problems without talking to me about them. he said that he would just rant and that he didnt talk to me about them because he say mean things. WElll that a big no no. so your making me look bad to this person, and it makes them closer to you because of it. anyways I put a stop to it. showed her that hubbys not the most loyal friend there is.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If it is purely a friendship as you would have with a female friend, and not something deeper or sexual that isn't crossing the line. Spending time you would previously have spent with hubby chatting online to him would be tho. I have a male friend at work I can discuss stuff with because he knows both myself and hubby. Nothing funny going on there!
    Anonymous

• If any conversation the two of you have, you wouldn't want your spouse to read, then you have crossed the line. That simple. When you start feeling an emotional attachment to him that you should have with your spouse, then you have crossed the line. You should only feel that way about your spouse.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree with the above answer. . .if you hide it from your spouse, if you go to that person to talk to & NOT YOUR spouse, if you would not want your spouse to know what you are saying.. .its crossing the line IMO
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• As long as i would show hubby what was been written or i would feel comfortable with hubby and the guy friend talking then its ok. In fact, my old male roomate came to visit us for about a week and hubby hung out with him more than i got too!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Personally I don't see it as crossing the line if it's all online. Talking and caring about an old friend has nothing to do with your relationship with your husband. If it crosses over into cyber intimacy then obviously your h left a void that someone else can fill. Hubby needs to make sure that doesn't happen.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It's not cheating until its sexual.
    Anonymous

• Dr. phil has said that it is cheating if you do something with someone else that you would never do infront of your spouse. Like the above answer,if you dont want your husband to see what you are writing then it's bad and if you dont want your husband to know who you are talking to is worse.Good luck. If you have to question it then it's probley not a good idea.
    JonahsMom1107

Answer by JonahsMom1107 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009