Question about extended rear facing.

How long did you rear face? Is it based on age? Is is a height and weight thing?

pjacademy

Asked by pjacademy at 5:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its not too late to switch back, if that is something that you want to do. Although at her age she is probably developed enough to be able to withstand the force of a wreck, but why chance it? If your carseat can hold her, and you want to do it, then go for it! It may take some getting used to for her though, and a little explaining to your family as to why you made the switch, lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• 1 year and at least 20 lbs to forward face
    Anonymous

• "1 year and at least 20 lbs to forward face "

That's not extended rear facing like she asked.

Most people I know go by the car seat and what the limit is on the rear facing limit.
    Anonymous

• Kaylee is not old enough yet, but I will be having her rear-facing until she is at least 18 months (she is currently 9 1/2)

It is based off of weight, not height. My car seat (a convertible) can hold 35lbs rear facing, and 100 front facing.

Congratulations for making the decision (it sounds like) to extend your childs rear facing time. It is one of the safest things you can do for them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Well that is just it. We don't but after seeing a youtube the other day about an 18 month old internally decapitated it made me think to asks this here.

She is almost 4 but only 24 pounds........she is Indian so she will probably stay tiny.
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 5:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• She actually has only been home since November........in India it was pretty much a free for all! No car seats!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 5:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• There is a height limit rear facing though. Read the owners manual. It is usually when their head is within and inch of the top of the seat. Keep them rear facing as long as possible, they are safer.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It is based on the weight and height limits of the seat you own. Convertible seats, or rear-facing only carseats (not the infant carriers) do NOT go by the "one inch rule" and not all infant carriers go by that rule either. The one I owned did NOT. I called and double checked with the manufacturer and was told that if something were to unfortunately happen, and I was not following their product guidelines, they could not be held responsible if the seat failed to protect the baby.

Mine always hit the height limit first! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Oh..and for your question on how long *I* kept them rear facing...one year. I turned them on their first birthday.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Wow,only 24 lbs,I think children from there r tiny.Priya is 45 lbs at age 9,she has only gained a few lbs since she got home and she really eats!! My kids were all in rear facing until around 12 months old,then they were too big and went into regular front facing. It was so much easier than carrying that heavy carseat.
    Barb10

Answer by Barb10 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009